3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I'm using Word 2007 and I was wondering is it possible while using a drop down form field I could select a category from the populated list that would open another drop down form field where I make my final selection to be inserted into the document. The reason why I ask is because of the limited amount of populated space available with a form field, plus it would make it much faster to find desired comment. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As far as I know, you can't have one dropdown formfield nested under another. Something you might consider in a situation like this, is to associate an On Entry macro with the formfield, and have the macro display a small userform which you could design - the userform would give you much more flexibility in terms of how you display options and react to user choices.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gary
    I thought thatís what I might have to do, and it is a good ideaÖ.
    I was hoping for an easier approach though.
    Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could do it with macros on either content controls or on legacy form fields. The attached document demonstrates one method of how this might work. This one uses the contentcontrolonexit event but I seem to remember that the legacy form fields can assign any macro on exit so the macro can be specific to the first dropdown control.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew Lockton
    I like this idea, but itís not exactly what I was hoping for. I was hoping to be able to choose a category from a drop down then it would branch off to another drop down populated with multiple selections from that chosen category.
    I thank you so much for your time.
    Iím probably reaching for the stars with this one..... I like the concept though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You must mean like a treeview - I don't know how to do that within a document and doubt that the object exists.

OTOH treeview objects within a Userform are not that uncommon and samples can be found readily.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Andrew
    I shall investigate further