New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi,

New in here but I searched this thread and didn't find anything.

I was an Opera user for n years, since the very early days, being irritated by IE's bugs.

I did fine for years, upgraded regularly, joined the club....

Then, on the last upgrade before 10, I got the message that index.ini wouldn't load for mail and the upgrade was aborted.

I searched the KI and found various suggested fixes, none worked. So, I did a reinstall, following the advice on MyOpera.

Wow, I lost everything, it installed, apparently and imported mails, contacts, etc. I re-started as instructed and .... same prob, index.ini wouldn't run. BUT, when I said continue I had lost all my imports and it was as if I'd never used Opera before. I put up a 'help!!' message on the forum and got some suggestions but nuttin....

I am now on Firefox/Thunderbird, slowly rebuilding my life.....

Just wondered if anybody else has had this experience??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Any software can fail. If you do not make backups it is just a question of time before you have to 'rebuild your life' again.
    When you have a backup it is possible to reinstall applications and keep the old data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessie6 View Post
    Any software can fail. If you do not make backups it is just a question of time before you have to 'rebuild your life' again.
    When you have a backup it is possible to reinstall applications and keep the old data.
    This reply reminds me of an old Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, where Calvin loses Hobbes outside and his mother tells him this wouldn't happen if he didn't bring the tiger everywhere. Calvin says something along the lines of "there's no problem so bad that you can't add some guilt and make it feel worse."

(Which is not to say your reply is wrong, but that it might not be appreciated by the original poster. )

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please, I did backup..... I followed the Opera instructions about where to find everything....
    However, maybe I didn't make it clear, in the reinstall/import process the dreaded index.ini message appeared, I ignored it and carried on. It was then that I found the backed up sources said they were importing but they didn't and they wouldn't......

Just to bring it up to date, I was 'marketed' Opera 10. I decided to see what would happen. I downloaded, installed and ran, fine. Then I tried to import, etc., from the backed up source, same story, index.ini wouldn't load.....

No problem, my life is almost restored, just owndered if anyone had had the same experiences.

Bye, Barry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mahon View Post
    Hi,

New in here but I searched this thread and didn't find anything.

I was an Opera user for n years, since the very early days, being irritated by IE's bugs.

I did fine for years, upgraded regularly, joined the club....

Then, on the last upgrade before 10, I got the message that index.ini wouldn't load for mail and the upgrade was aborted.

I searched the KI and found various suggested fixes, none worked. So, I did a reinstall, following the advice on MyOpera.

Wow, I lost everything, it installed, apparently and imported mails, contacts, etc. I re-started as instructed and .... same prob, index.ini wouldn't run. BUT, when I said continue I had lost all my imports and it was as if I'd never used Opera before. I put up a 'help!!' message on the forum and got some suggestions but nuttin....

I am now on Firefox/Thunderbird, slowly rebuilding my life.....

Just wondered if anybody else has had this experience??

Have you checked that when you import your data from your backups you're not losing this "index.ini" file? Maybe the importing process is somehow deleting this file. I would suggest you find the file within the Opera folders once you install it, and once you find it keep a copy of it somewhere before you import your data. The only other thing that ccurs to me is, that the file is corrupted and isn't deleted when opera gets installed/uninstalled so it can never find it.

I guess you've moved on to Firefox now though. So this might be too late.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had significant issues with Opera 10.10 too. Taking years to load pages etc, some never loading. After quite a bit of searching on the net it turned out to be a prob between Opera and AVG, both of which were updated at about the same time.

I solved it by following the instuvctions to disable the AVG "URL Checker" or whatever it was they called it (Its not there now so I cant tell you the exact name. I had to do an uninstall and re-install to do this but it was worth it.

I find Opera much faster than any other browser on our slow rural dial-up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Nut View Post

^^Thats being my experience as well Rail Nut

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbb View Post
    ^^Thats being my experience as well Rail Nut
    For info Opera may get faster with the next major release. Opera are currently working on version 10.5, an early pre-alpha build is due out on 22nd for users to test, and it promises to have speed improvements.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a long time user of Opera from V4.x to the current V10.10, I can say that I use it on at least 4 different PCs/notebooks, and have never encountered your problem.

As long as you are trying to rebuild your "life", I would suggest the following:
    1. Remove Opera from your Machine (un-install from Add/Remove in Control Panel)
    2. Delete any relevant folders/files in Program Files and My Docs
    3. Clean out the Registry that has any reference to Opera.
    4. Reboot and re-install Opera 10.10, and
    5. Off you go. Back to the good-ol-days of Opera.