New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've two computers running W7, my laptop is running Ultimate and the desktop is running Premium (or is it Business, there are too many options). Anyway, I have tried to set-up a homegroup with the two of them and am having a weird problem. Both computers report that they are members of a homegroup, I can see the laptop's shares from the desktop, but the desktop shares are not available to the laptop. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried the Homegroup troubleshooter?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, and it really didn't tell me anything until today, when it said that Peer Networking Service was not running. That wouldn't start because Peer Naming something-or-other wasn't running, and that wouldn't start but gave me an error message. Looked up the error message on Google and found a reference that said to delete a file buried about 6 sub-folders deep in the Windows folder and reboot. I did that and now Homegroup appears to be working again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Looked up the error message on Google and found a reference that said to delete a file buried about 6 sub-folders deep in the Windows folder and reboot.
    Well don't hog the fix, post it here so other may be able to use the fix.

File name and full path would be good for starters, or even a link to the fix.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem, but only reversed, the laptop could see the desktop, but desktop would not join the homegroup. It turned out to be a couple of settings, 1 in Network Magic and the other in my Trend Micro firewall settings. Fire wall settings is where I would look.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem but with windows7 on one computer and xp pro on another. In research I discovered that Homegroup only works between computers running windows 7 and cannot be used in the way I was attempting to use it. My fix involved, deleting the homegroup and building a network using the network wizard called workgroup. This worked and is still up and running today with functional network sharing of course. I did not find this fix on the internet or at Microsoft, but just gambled on my hunch and was pleasantly surprised to find that it did work! Hope this helps someone. While this is not directly related to the problem you were experiencing it is in the same category of problem. Thanks for sharing your problem.