New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently implemented W7 on a new PC build at home. As I am transferring my activities to it I've been very pleased with one glaring exception so far. The Microsoft game Age of Empire II (and the Conqueror’s Expansion) will not play in the proper colors. Googling found suggestions such as killing the explorer.exe task (which works, by the way) but that seems extreme and I have to Restart when I am through playing a game. Another suggestion was to play it in a window, with a link to a site in Spanish, but as I can’t read it I am not going to download and install anything from there. I have been through the compatibility wizard twice and nothing has worked. The game will not play in XP Mode (I bought W7 Pro) because XP Mode does not have any 3D capability. Installing DirectX in XP Mode does not work either. That is, you can install it but the game still says “no 3D”. Creating a new Virtual PC with a fresh install of XP Pro gets the same results as with XP Mode.

I hate to keep an older box running just to play this game, but I really like it and I play it with my kids.

Any suggestions?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked whether or not there's an update for your graphics card driver?
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, the latest drives were installed from the AMD site. No change.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shoemaker View Post
    The Microsoft game Age of Empire II (and the Conqueror’s Expansion) will not play in the proper colors. Googling found suggestions such as killing the explorer.exe task (which works, by the way) but that seems extreme and I have to Restart when I am through playing a game. Another suggestion was to play it in a window, with a link to a site in Spanish, but as I can’t read it I am not going to download and install anything from there. I have been through the compatibility wizard twice and nothing has worked.

I hate to keep an older box running just to play this game, but I really like it and I play it with my kids.

Any suggestions?
    Could you provide the link to the spanish site?

Does Age of Empires 2 have a "video" menu? Have you tried the various settings there?

It sounds to me like it's the Windows visual themes that's causing the issue. Have you tried disabling that? Right-click on the shortcut or executable and manually play with the compatibility settings to disable the themes. (Sorry, left my 7 machine at home so I can't provide the exact settings)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/1...isplay-issues/
    This site lists some methods. None of which worked for me except killing explorer.exe, which seems drastic.

This site has the Spanish languiage site link: http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

This site lists a different "windower" app that I have not tried yet: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-122792b14f74

and also

" Additionally, by right clicking the program executable, you can select "Disable Visual Themes" under the compatibility tab to avoid having to do what Amakuni suggests every time you start the game :-) " which reportedly does not always work either.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shoemaker View Post
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/1...isplay-issues/
    This site lists some methods. None of which worked for me except killing explorer.exe, which seems drastic.

This site has the Spanish languiage site link: http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

This site lists a different "windower" app that I have not tried yet: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-122792b14f74

and also

" Additionally, by right clicking the program executable, you can select "Disable Visual Themes" under the compatibility tab to avoid having to do what Amakuni suggests every time you start the game :-) " which reportedly does not always work either.
    Hah, that's actually portugese. Anyway, the download link is the last word of this line: Faça o download do arquivo aqui.

Translation of the site:

"No configuration is necessary, but case is going to configure in the dimensions that desire, sufficiency access the file config.xml"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had run into that problem a little while ago and here is the solution:

Create a new text document in the same directory as the aoe2 executable (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II)
    I am assuming you have file extensions visible in your explorer window... if not, google it.
    Add the following text to the new text document and then rename it to "StartAOE.bat" (or something else as long as it ends in ".bat")

For Age of Kings:
    Code:
    taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
    empires2.exe
    Start explorer.exe
    For Age of Kings with The Conquerors Expansion Pack (Must be in the "Age2_x1" Directory):
    Code:
    taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
    age2_x1.exe
    Start explorer.exe
    I may not have explained these steps too clearly so if you don't quite get what to do, just message me!

So now down to the why and how:

For some unknown reason, explorer.exe (or more specifically, the windows 7 desktop) somehow conflicts with the colour pallet of age of empires, and, for that reason, we need to tell the computer to close the "explorer.exe" process while playing age of empires. All this little script does, is close explorer.exe just s we open aoe2 and will automatically open the explorer process again once you finish playing. It makes it a rather painless process rather than the alternative of opening the task manager after running the game and manually closing the process and having to re open it after your done.

So if that made any sense at all to you, I hope it will get your game back in the proper colours and get the worlds best RTS game running smoothly again!

Cheers!

David