New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows XP (SP3) and have Windows Defender disabled since I use Norton Internet Security 2010 instead. However, Windows Defender is still getting Automatic Updates almost daily. Is there a way to stop these Automatic Updates to Windows Defender absent uninstalling Windows Defender? Should I uninstall Windows Defender and reinstall it if it is ever needed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nase View Post
    I am running Windows XP (SP3) and have Windows Defender disabled since I use Norton Internet Security 2010 instead. However, Windows Defender is still getting Automatic Updates almost daily. Is there a way to stop these Automatic Updates to Windows Defender absent uninstalling Windows Defender? Should I uninstall Windows Defender and reinstall it if it is ever needed?
    If AU determines you have the program installed you'll get updates. I'd uninstall Defender. If you ever need an anti-virus & anti-malware program check out the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nase View Post
    I believe that if you go into the options of defender, you can turn off real time scanning and I think that will stop the updates.

I personally have defender installed, but not for the anti-spyware feature (which I have disabled). I use it for the excellent Software Explorer tool that lists start up programs with more details than most other startup monitoring programs. Doesnt take any overhead, and when I need it, I really find it useful when used with other start up monitoring programs to see what is real and what might be bogus.