Thanks
    I administer a small XP SP3 laptop that is used by multiple users (kiosk) for Internet access. I have a Limited User Account defined for it. Recently I noticed that Google's Chrome browser is installed on the system. I understand that the Limited user account should prevent software installation. When I uninstall the software, someone eventually re-installs it (without administrator permissions). What can I do to prevent this software from being installed by a limited user?

Thanks!

Dave

PS-I don't want a discussion of the relative merits of alternative browsers and operating systems here. I'm stuck with XP and IE8.
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hejde View Post
    I administer a small XP SP3 laptop that is used by multiple users (kiosk) for Internet access. I have a Limited User Account defined for it. Recently I noticed that Google's Chrome browser is installed on the system. I understand that the Limited user account should prevent software installation. When I uninstall the software, someone eventually re-installs it (without administrator permissions). What can I do to prevent this software from being installed by a limited user?
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Are you sure the admin account is not known? Add or change the password for the admin account(s).

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that I already changed the admin password.

Dave
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could they be "Right Clicking" the install exe file and Running as Administrator?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    A limited account can still install any application that installs to its own folder and does not put any entries into the Windows folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

OneDave (2012-03-01)

Thanks
    I'm wondering how I can prevent a limited user from downloading and installing Chrome...
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hejde View Post
    I'm wondering how I can prevent a limited user from downloading and installing Chrome...
    Just Chrome? Or prohibit downloading and installing anything?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Update. I would like to block installation of anything, really. These PCs are shared by about 20 people. Most are happy to just browse the internet and work with web-based email. However, there is always an "expert" in every group who prides himself on bypassing security, installing software, etc. It's not a critical problem yet, but I'm anticipating that it will be a problem eventually.

Chrome is just the popular one right now via a Google home page offering.

Ideas appreciated.

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    If this is XP Pro, use the Group Policy editor ( Start | Run | gpedit.msc) to disallow user installs. See the settings in Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Installer.

Joe