Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Everyone,

I it my understanding that there is a way to set up a virtual machine, running Windows XP, in Windows 7 to use apps that either Win 7 does not support or the vendor isn't going to update to work on Win 7. What is the best way to set up a virtual machine? I'm pretty good with PC's but don't want or have the time to experiment on my own til I get it right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grant

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP Mode only runs on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

See Download Windows XP Mode for the software.

I found it REALLY easy to set up and configure. They have done a great job of taking all the complexity away.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    As stated above the Windows XP Mode does not exist on home premium. However you can run VMWare or Virtual Box to achive almost the same effect. You may have to wait for those packages to be upgraded to be compatable with Win7.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Millard Watson View Post
    ...you can run VMWare or Virtual Box to achive almost the same effect...
    Windows XP mode has some really powerful additional integration features, for example:
    • All of your Windows XP start menu items are automatically added to a section of the Windows 7 Start menu
    • When you run an XP Mode application it displays on the native Windows 7 desktop, just like anyother Windows 7 application
    • Windows 7 disks are all automatically shared to the Windows XP mode system
    I am sure there are many more, but these are the ones that I really value.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP mode also requires the processor to support hardware virtualization (Intel VT and AMD-V).
    See List of processors supporting (or not) hardware virtualization here.
    Compare with your installed processor by right clicking "MyComputer" on the Desktop and selecting "Properties".

In case your processor does not support hardware virtualization, then Sun VirtualBox works fine on Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As stated above the Windows XP Mode does not exist on home premium. However you can run VMWare or Virtual Box to achive almost the same effect. You may have to wait for those packages to be upgraded to be compatable with Win7.
    I have used Virtual Box on Windows 7.0 so far without any issues. For those migrating from XP or Vista and doing clean install I found the following a safety net for being able to run your old machine as virtual.
    1. Use Sysinternals Disk2Vdh to create .vhd from your current box before upgrading
    2. Once you have Windows 7.x installed install Virtual Box and load .vhd from step1.

Really recommend you do chkdsk and defrag before creating .vhd with Disk2Vhd.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Virtual PC 2007 runs on windows home premium and seems to work fine. Your older .vhd's will come over fine.
    I run DOS and WFWG 3.11, win98, w2k and xp on it. Only thing is y ou have to have a legitimate license
    for these products to run it under vpc 2007.

and it is free..

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I found it REALLY easy to set up and configure. They have done a great job of taking all the complexity away.
    Stuart,

I also found it very easy to setup and to configure... mostly. There is one item I can't seem to figure out how to change or even if it can be changed and that is the screen resolution. For some reason the resolution is fixed at 1280 x 1022 and Windows 7 is set at 1280 x 1024. And the "Color Quality" is fixed at 16 bit rather than 32 bit. Now, it may not seem like that should make any difference, and maybe it isn't the problem I'm seeing, but my icons have the "jaggies" and text is not crisp. It doesn't take long for a headache to set in. Clear Type is enabled, so that's not it. Anyone have any ideas about this irritating issue? Again, this is ONLY in XP Mode; everything is perfect in Windows 7.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    ...There is one item I can't seem to figure out how to change or even if it can be changed and that is the screen resolution...
    I had never noticed that before. I have a 1920 x 1080 screen, but when I have Windows XP mode running full screen it shows a non-adjustable display size of 1920 x 1078

I wonder what it uses those two rows of pixels for.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info - very interesting. I'll take a look at the solutions you all have suggested.

Grant

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Virtual CD is now at version 10 and is advertised as compatible. It was the most extravagant of the commercial offerings, if I'm not mistaken, and because I qualified for an upgrade, which was very modestly priced, I took it. I haven't tested it yet, mind you, and I do have Win 7 Ultimate, but if I get around to it I'll offer an opinion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Virtual CD is now at version 10 and is advertised as compatible. It was the most extravagant of the commercial offerings, if I'm not mistaken, and because I qualified for an upgrade, which was very modestly priced, I took it. I haven't tested it yet, mind you, and I do have Win 7 Ultimate, but if I get around to it I'll offer an opinion.
    I have Virtual CD 10 running on all my home PCs (I bought a 5 license pack years ago and their upgrade prices are fair). It seems to run fine under Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    VMWare works fine with Windows 7. I have had no problems at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carver View Post
    VMWare works fine with Windows 7. I have had no problems at all.
    I setup VMware player on my Windows 7 Home Premium last night. It worked and looked great. It is free from the www.vmware.com. I was able to adjust the resolution on the guest. The newest version of VMware Player is 3.0 (something like that). This version also has the option of creating a virtual machine from installation media.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast