Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note of interest to some:

I was doing an upgrade from Vista sp1 to Windows 7 Home Pre
    The client wanted to move to Outlook from Windows Mail.
    Fine, since Windows Mail wasn't to exist in Win 7.
    Then, after the upgrade and her using Outlook, she hated it and wanted Windows Mail back.
    (She had said to forget the email in the Vista Windows Mail. Oh Yea! She was kicking herself !!! )
    I downloaded a copy of Windows Mail, the Vista version (its available in many places in RAR format) and copied it over the "Windows Mail" folder in Prog Files.
    (You may have some permission issues but taking ownership of the folder should clear that up)
    Did a desktop shortcut and it came up right away with all her old mail and contacts and settings. Good that MS didn't change file locations for the Not In Use program !!
    I got a huge hug ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Interesting solution. Since Windows Mail is not supported on Windows 7 you'll have to "Support". I doubt you'll get any security fixes or spam filter updates.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to note, I'm liking Thunderbird mail :-)
    " Even a broken clock is right twice a day. "

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gundy View Post
    Just to note, I'm liking Thunderbird mail :-)
    Yes A good choice but you know everyone has their "choice" :-)
    I should have mentioned that I saved a copy of the Win 7 folder just in case MS changes their mind at some point.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Interesting solution. Since Windows Mail is not supported on Windows 7 you'll have to "Support". I doubt you'll get any security fixes or spam filter updates.

Joe
    Yes MS is unlikely to do anyone any favors.
    I didn't follow the issue before Win 7 went "gold" so I don't know why they decided to kill Windows Mail.
    POP email is still widely used.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Sweeney View Post
    Yes MS is unlikely to do anyone any favors.
    I didn't follow the issue before Win 7 went "gold" so I don't know why they decided to kill Windows Mail.
    POP email is still widely used.
    Windows Mail has been replaced by Mail - Windows Live.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Mail has been replaced by Mail - Windows Live.

Joe
    That is a terrible thing.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You might view the Tutorial

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdye View Post
    That is a terrible thing.
    Why??

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Why??

Joe
    I personally am not interested in joining the "Windows Live" experience or it's Google counterpart. I believe there are serious privacy concerns with some of these products especially the toolbars and "desktop" interfaces. Having to download the free Windows email component as a part of the "Live" product line seems like a sort of sneaky way to pull people into their "Live" lineup:

"When you download and install Windows Live Mail, you’re also offered the option of downloading and installing other Windows Live programs, including Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Writer, Windows Live Photo Gallery, and the Windows Live Toolbar and Family Safety software. All the programs you choose are installed at the same time. For more information about these other Windows Live programs, go to the Windows Live Services website." From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...dows-Live-Mail.

I can see no reason to not include the Windows Mail component, which a Lot of people use, with the installation of Windows 7, except to get users involved in the Live products, Microsoft's version of the future of the internet. ie Cloud Computing with MS products.

JMO, I use Outlook for email and consult these days on security and privacy for small businesses, which is fairly busy.

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdye View Post
    I personally am not interested in joining the "Windows Live" experience or it's Google counterpart. I believe there are serious privacy concerns with some of these products especially the toolbars and "desktop" interfaces. Having to download the free Windows email component as a part of the "Live" product line seems like a sort of sneaky way to pull people into their "Live" lineup:

"When you download and install Windows Live Mail, you're also offered the option of downloading and installing other Windows Live programs, including Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Writer, Windows Live Photo Gallery, and the Windows Live Toolbar and Family Safety software. All the programs you choose are installed at the same time. For more information about these other Windows Live programs, go to the Windows Live Services website." From: http://windows.micro...dows-Live-Mail.

I can see no reason to not include the Windows Mail component, which a Lot of people use, with the installation of Windows 7, except to get users involved in the Live products, Microsoft's version of the future of the internet. ie Cloud Computing with MS products.

JMO, I use Outlook for email and consult these days on security and privacy for small businesses, which is fairly busy.
    IMO, there were two things at work with the decision to remove the mail client from Windows. One, to forestall future legal issues about product bundling. Two, to allow an update cycle for the mail client and the other Live programs that is different (i.e. shorter) than that for Windows.

I'm not sure these decicions rise to the level of "terrible" but to each his own.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's my understanding that Windows Mail, which I liked, was just Outlook Express in a fancier GUI. Certainly seemed like it. Just thought I'd throw that in.

<whine> I moved to Thunderbird rather than have ANYTHING to do with that Windows Live crap. However, I liked Windows Mail/Outlook Express much better, and wish MSFT would put it back. Don't want to bother searching the Web for it, and then have no support for it. Eew! <end whine>

P.S.: How do you spell-check when replying? F7 doesn't do it. The Help doesn't help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walter donavan View Post
    P.S.: How do you spell-check when replying? F7 doesn't do it. The Help doesn't help.
    I think I saw somewhere that spell checking was not baked into the lounge software anymore. It now relies on the spell checker built into your browser. I use Firefox and it spell checks as I write.
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh. Thanks. I also use Firefox, and I guess it was the one flagging the words, but I couldn't find a way to change (or allow) those words.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walter donavan View Post
    <whine> I moved to Thunderbird rather than have ANYTHING to do with that Windows Live crap. However, I liked Windows Mail/Outlook Express much better, and wish MSFT would put it back. Don't want to bother searching the Web for it, and then have no support for it. Eew! <end whine>
    FYI, you can use Windows Mail in Windows 7. You simply have to enable it and copy over the Windows Mail files from a copy of Vista; yours or from someone else's PC. The destructions on how to do that are very simple. There is already at least one thread here on the board where this has been discussed. I don't happen to have a link to it at this moment, unfortunately. There seems to be one caveat however, it has been mentioned that although Windows Mail works just dandy, you cannot set it as the "default" mail program, which at worst creates a little inconvenience in having to manually launch it. Although I personally use "Outlook" for my e-mail client, in Vista and Windows 7 I use it to read Newsgroups. I have used it for e-mail occasionally and found it more than acceptable... I liked it.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast