Thread: Broken links

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    All the links to lounge pages that I have tried to follow this evening appear to be broken. For example there are two broken links in the thread at http://bro.ws/769243L.

Brian Livingston
    The Admins have found 45 cases of links that became corrupted today (5 minutes ago) in a database update. We are finding and fixing these links individually, and all of them should resolve correctly within 30 minutes. Thanks for reporting this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    The Admins have found 45 cases of links that became corrupted today (5 minutes ago) in a database update.
    The link in Post #808052 uses a style that depends on URL rewriting. It might work after the next htaccess revision (or maybe not?!). I think we should try to encourage use of the [topic] and [post] tags to refer to threads and posts. Making it easy to grab a pre-built link should help with that.

Brian Livingston
    Admin Tony Johnston and I found and fixed 39 cases of internal links that became corrupted at 4 p.m. Pacific Time on Dec. 4. Clicking the links did not resolve to the correct page, but instead redirected to the Lounge Lobby, since IP.Board didn't know what to do.

The problem arose in our preparations to allow Google and other search engines to begin indexing the Lounge's 125,000 pages of content. Google somehow indexed a few pages starting on Dec. 3, although we won't begin formally allowing this via Robots.txt until Dec. 5.

As you know, Google and other search engines penalize or even ban sites for serving up duplicate content or pages that are too similar. Tony and I and Admin Kurt Naber have been involved in an effort to clean up different ways that IP.Board can represent the same page, which can look to the Googlebot like a spammy site trying to multiply its page count to get more hits. IP.Board offers a "friendly URL" feature, but our tests revealed it to be horribly broken. For one thing, the feature adds to the URL the title of every thread after the number, but if this "SEO text" is removed from the address by users, the link doesn't work.

Something we did corrupted some links. This affected 39 links that were created since Nov. 30, and then only for a short time until we corrected the problem by searching and replacing the items in the database.

All of these internal links should be working now. If you see any link that should lead to a thread page, but in fact redirects to the Lounge Lobby, sent me a PM and I can find it in the database and correct it, too.

On the subject of links, I've become fond of using "browse" links, because they are very short. When a long URL is pasted into a post, IP.Board shortens the URL to 39 characters and inserts ellipses (...) in the middle, making the URL impossible for the reader to understand. IPB doesn't shorten Bro.ws links, however, because they're already short. I don't believe Bro.ws will redirect to the 2nd or 3rd comment in a thread yet, just to the original post, but the additional feature is on our to-do list.

I'll post an example by tomorrow of the new Robots.txt file that Windows Secrets will soon use to allow search engines to index a few pages each day. That thread is at:

http://bro.ws/768541L

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The first link in the thread mentioned by StuartR (http://bro.ws/769243L) still doesn't work...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    The first link in the thread mentioned by StuartR (http://bro.ws/76924L) still doesn't work...
    Hi Hans,
    It' s been mentioned to the admin et al, now. However your link seems to miss one digit "3".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    However your link seems to miss one digit "3".
    Thanks, I've corrected it. It's difficult to copy the tiny url because it's a link. I initially missed the "L", then edited my post to add the "L" but apparently overwrote the "3".