New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my Lenovo T61p notebook. I'm running the MS Office 2007 suite of applications, Adobe Acrobat 9 and use ESET NOD32 antivirus (64-bit). My system is freezing at least once a day, typically when I'm in Windows explorer looking up documents. When it freezes, I typically have Outlook and MSWord open. While the system is "frozen", I can't access task manager and I have to shut the machine off and reboot. The hard drive light is also on continuously while the system is non-responsive. I've made sure that my Windows/Office software is up to date and I've also updated all my hardware drivers via the Lenovo website. Any suggestions for correcting this annoying problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Horlick View Post
    Hi - I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my Lenovo T61p notebook. I'm running the MS Office 2007 suite of applications, Adobe Acrobat 9 and use ESET NOD32 antivirus (64-bit). My system is freezing at least once a day, typically when I'm in Windows explorer looking up documents. When it freezes, I typically have Outlook and MSWord open. While the system is "frozen", I can't access task manager and I have to shut the machine off and reboot. The hard drive light is also on continuously while the system is non-responsive. I've made sure that my Windows/Office software is up to date and I've also updated all my hardware drivers via the Lenovo website. Any suggestions for correcting this annoying problem would be appreciated. Thanks
    Hi Andrew and Welcome

One thing you can do to diagnose the problem is to go to event viewer (type eventvwr in search). then go to the windows logs>application tab. there is a ton on date there so you may want to do this right after the freeze. You need to look ofr errors (they have red 'x' in left hand column) that say app hang, app crash. or anything with IE in it. the key to it is to take the event ID and source codes and google them. You will find some info on what the problem is.

Hope this helps

Ken J+
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Horlick View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Check to see if you have Outlook addins running.

You can also try disabling email scanning in ESET.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

If you can access the task manager you can add the columns for i/o data and see what is doing so much disk activity. Nod will do a startup scan every time it updates its definitions and there are default tasks in the Windows task manager that are set to run that you might not especially want. Anytime I see a lot of disk activity I make sure I know what it is. I believe that Windows 7 has a defragmentation set to run in task manager, and while I am not sure this is set for all editions, it was set for Home Premium as were a number of data collection events for Microsoft. I disable these events, but this is not something I would blithely recommend doing.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I`d just like to add that I`ve had the same trouble in Windows 7 with Windows Explorer hanging, forcing me to use Task Manager to shut it down. (I don`t think I`ve seen Windows 7 itself freeze.) My antivirus is Avast, so the problem is not a result of the massive background processes of Norton AntiVirus, as someone suggested above,nor do I use Outlook. I am not in the middle of a system virus scan. I didn`t seem to be in the middle of doing anything special when it all happened. To me it looks like a bug in Windows. I much prefer xplorer2 to Windows Explorer anyway, so I may start using it as my default file manager. Even so, I would like to know the true cause of the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also had problems with Windows 7 freezing. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a fairly new desktop computer. I'm fairly certain that the problem occurs after the system goes into standby mode. I have tried updating my BIOS and all drivers for my motherboard but the problem persisted. Since I have disabled the automatic sleep mode, the problem seems to have subsided. There was nothing useful in the System Event Viewer logs other than a "6008 - The previous system shutdown at 5:45:23 PM on ‎27/‎11/‎2009 was unexpected." Some system summary information is listed below:

Name Windows 7 (Enterprise) x64
    Features Terminal Services in Remote Admin Mode, 64 Bit Edition, Media Center Edition, Multiprocessor Free
    SKU Enterprise Edition
    Activation Status Activated
    Checked Build No
    UAC Enabled No
    Kernel Version 6.1.7600.16385
    Build Lab 7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255

Product Name P5K-V
    PC System Type Desktop
    Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE

Disk Space Disk C: 23 GB Available, 69 GB Total, 23 GB Free
    Disk D: 813 GB Available, 931 GB Total, 813 GB Free
    Disk E: 460 GB Available, 1397 GB Total, 460 GB Free

Physical Memory 4096 MB Total, 1979 MB Free
    Memory Load 51%

Virtual Memory 8189 MB Total, 5674 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
    PageFile Size 4095 MB
    In use 192 MB
    Max used 205 MB

The system clock interval 15 ms

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Model P5K-V
    Version Rev 1.xx
    Serial Number MS1C76B31R01086

North Bridge Intel P35/G33/G31 Revision A2
    South Bridge Intel 82801IB (ICH9) Revision A2

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 6 PCI

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 2048 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction None

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I used Windows Event Viewer and found a repetitive "Side by Side" error involving Adobe Acrobat 9 Form Designer. I googled the error and found specific advice on a solution which I have implemented and hope will work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David from Toronto View Post
    I`d just like to add that I`ve had the same trouble in Windows 7 with Windows Explorer hanging, forcing me to use Task Manager to shut it down. (I don`t think I`ve seen Windows 7 itself freeze.) My antivirus is Avast, so the problem is not a result of the massive background processes of Norton AntiVirus, as someone suggested above,nor do I use Outlook. I am not in the middle of a system virus scan. I didn`t seem to be in the middle of doing anything special when it all happened. To me it looks like a bug in Windows. I much prefer xplorer2 to Windows Explorer anyway, so I may start using it as my default file manager. Even so, I would like to know the true cause of the problem.
    What are you trying to do with Windows Explorer?

Is the PC networked?

Have you added of changed any hardware or software recently?

Have you tried a system restore to a time when it was working correctly?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh this has been useful...I've been having big trouble with W7 and Explorer windows. I have some folders that have quite large image files in them (>500MB tifs) and everytime I open the folders up, if the view is set to Detailed or Icon then the Explorer window freezes, the "green ribbon of death" slowly moves across the top of the window, in fact most of the computer freezes up. I can't bring up Task Manager, can't do much really. If I have Resource Monitor running before I access the folder, then when I get a freeze I notice Disk and CPU are at the max.

I checked the Event Viewer this time and found a SidebySide error linked to Windows Live Photo Gallery and Moviemaker, so I uninstalled both and it would seem the problem has gone away. Hopefully.

What is SideBySide, it must be a new W7 thing, haven't seen it before?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goddard View Post
    What is SideBySide, it must be a new W7 thing, haven't seen it before?
    Side-by-side Assemblies