Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

In another week I'll take delivery on a new machine - 64 bit w/ Windows 7 Home Premium, replacing 32 bit w/ Windows 2003 Home

I have all kinds of questions about ...
    - what to do first
    - what do I do to maximize the space on the HUGE hard drive on the new machine
    - how will my 32 bit software act on the new machine
    - what's the best way to transfer the data

... and I could go on and on.

Is there a published guide to help me with all this.

If you can point me in the right direction I wouls appreciate it. I don't want to post EVERY question here but will probably turn to the Lounge from time to time with the less ordinary questions..

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb0928 View Post
    - what to do first
    - what do I do to maximize the space on the HUGE hard drive on the new machine
    - how will my 32 bit software act on the new machine
    - what's the best way to transfer the data
    If you are planning on using the same or mostly the same programs as you currently use run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows. It will tell you of software issues.

1.) uninstall any crapware on the system.
    2.) make an image backup of your system.
    3.) Install your application software - 32-bit programs should work just fine.
    4.) make another image of your system.
    5.) install your security software.
    6.) make another image of your system.
    7.) download, install, and use Windows 7 features - Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows on the old PC.
    8.) If you have data not covered by Easy Transfer either copy to an external drive or network the PCs together and copy the data.

Ask more when you need to.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to the above other than the Louge you might want to look at the following site:

http://www.sevenforums.com/

Good luck and have fun with your new system. Windows 7 is a breath of fresh air to an old OS.

Thanks
    I guess for me the first thing to do before purchasing a new comp is to make sure I'm getting a genuine copy of the os disc.
    ...No OEM crap or company restore disc.

The next would be to make an image backup, and then format the whole thing and do a clean install.

You can either setup your partitions during the clean install or do it later on.
    (I'd setup a partition and tweak it later on)

Install the operating system, then update the operating system. Install all drivers but check that the drivers on the
    provided discs are up to date, if not get them from the manufacturer's site.

After you have got your os set up with updated and fresh working drivers[defrag]...do an image backup.

Now you are ready to start installing software. Start with mission critical security stuff first.
    If a program you have doesn't work start looking for alternatives. If you have some realy old software like me,
    it just might not work period. It's all part of a new os, especially a 64 bit platfom.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this is a BIG OEM box then you will most likely get a OEM copy, with a rebuild partition and no DVD. But you should be able to burn a set. Also you could buy a copy from most of the OEM's for about $25.00 US, which I do, as they will work,but, the ones you burn just may not

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.