New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Loungers. First time post & thread.

For news on the most effective anti-virus programs, I visit http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (click on the "Comparatives / Reviews" tab on the top left of the page).

QUESTION: Is there a similar website dedicated to detection/removal comparatives for anti-SPYWARE and anti-ADWARE programs? I haven't found a site anywhere close to the level of detail and thoroughness for these types of security programs as I have for anti-virus programs. It is time for me to renew my anti-spyware license, and I am wondering whether Webroot Spy Sweeper is still at or very near the top when it comes to spyware and adware detection and removal. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simus1 View Post
    QUESTION: Is there a similar website dedicated to detection/removal comparatives for anti-SPYWARE and anti-ADWARE programs?
    I've never come across a "reliable" place for such as that, so I rely on the collective opinions of The Lounge members. I think of recent, Malwarebytes would be very popular among fellow Loungers and it's free. You have to take with a grain of salt those review sites anyway. As the ol' saying goes "different strokes... " etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another excellent Anti Spyware Free Program can be found here http://www.superantispyware.com/

John Clifford

Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the link in my sig for other non-biased testing sites.

As for antispyware apps its pretty much down to Super Antispyware or MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware) as the top 2 and MBAM IMHO is better than SAS and it also offers a free counterpart to the paid option.
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    As for antispyware apps its pretty much down to Super Antispyware or MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware) as the top 2 and MBAM IMHO is better than SAS and it also offers a free counterpart to the paid option.
    Both have free versions. I used both earlier in the week. Together, they got rid of all infections on someone's laptops; separately, the odd file was left.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I havent dabbled with SAS in quite some time. I feel like MBAM has the better detection of the two.

I just realized I may have had my sig turned off so the OP may not have gotten my link. Here it is just incase:

Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate the replies and links! I was aware of the Matousec site for firewall testing. It appears no sites are available for comprehensive tests on anti-spyware/adware programs.

It used to be that freeware anti-spyware progs were very inadequate in detection rates, so I have been using the paid version of Spy Sweeper for maybe 4 or 5 years now. I don't mind paying, but was just wondering whether the detection rates of paid programs like Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor are still substantially higher than those of freewares like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntispyware.

Lounger
    Thanks
    MBAM and Super Antispyware are both better than Spysweeper or the resource hungry Spyware Doctor.
    My Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MBAM and Super Antispyware are both better than Spysweeper or the resource hungry Spyware Doctor.
    Very glad to hear that as I have both MBAM and SAS on board. I must admit, I am very happy with the performance of both those programmes.
    Economical to run but not cheap to acquire

Lounger
    Thanks
    There may not be any tests out there for those 2 specific programs, but I would rank them as the top 2 on the market right now.
    My Laptop Specs