New Lounger
    Thanks
    Background:
    I have a large MS VBA Excel app that I want to convert to Open Office Basic.
    It uses ODBC, ADO, SQL and a ton of automated formatting. Provides about 50 report variations, let's the use select data, etc. So it's pretty slick if I do say so.
    But FYI: not nearly as slick/complex as some of the heavy hitter apps I've seen out there.
    Motivation:
    I am on Office 2003. NO desire to pay to upgrade (if you want to call it that) to Office 2007. Not to mention conversion headaches and training.
    The only reason I need MS Office is this Excel VBA app which pulls data from our AS400 database and provides all our reporting.
    Me:
    I did all the programming...about 5 years ago. Ugh. Barely remember how I did it.

Purpose of This Thread:
    I am looking for the "holy grail" of MS VBA to OO Basic.
    There does not seem to be 1 single, comprehensive book or tutorial on OO Basic.
    I've got at least a dozen Excel books. I find the situation incredible given how long OO has been out there.

So the questions:
    1) Does anyone have any info on such a book or tutorial? Has to be in depth...not a beginner's guide.
    2) Would anyone care to exchange coding ideas? I.E. I can provide a given MS VBA statement and get an equivalent OO Basic in return.
    Opening the ODBC and/or ADO connection would be the first objective.
    We might end up developing the holy grail ourselves!

Sorry for the long winded explanation. If this thread goes anywhere I would like to keep it tight to the objective...
    Converting from MS VBA to OO Basic.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge.

Have a look at http://api.openoffice.org/TipsAndTricks/external.html for lots of links to documentation (remember that StarOffice and OpenOffice.org share a codebase).*

Also, the Novell version of ooo.org at http://go-oo.org/ claims compatibility with Excel VBA

John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    I went looking for something like this many years ago. Back then, the available resources were about 95% for Java and about 5% for Basic. I was focused on Word vs. Writer, and I gave up. I wish you much luck in your quest, and please post back with the links you find useful. This will also help in answering questions you might have during the conversion/rewriting process.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jon & LoungeFan:
    Yes, I've seen the docs at api.openoff... Nothing on ODBC connections and myriad data manipulations (i.e record sets, look ups, finds) that exist in Excel VBA. Maybe OO VBA is mainly at the data formatting stage? I don't know.
    Correction: stuff on record sets appears under Base. I just downloaded the PDF. I'll give it a complete read.
    The Go-Oo site is interesting. I downloaded it. I'll try it as soon as I have some time.
    I ran their Excel VBA sample spreadsheet in Excel 2003. It breaks! That doesn't make sense to me.
    Interesting though. Why would Novell let a whole bunch of (obviously motivated) developers branch off and make various aspects of OO more compatible, faster, easier? Seems to me Novell should encourage/fund (at least somewhat) and pull anything that's "more compatible with Excel" into the mainstream distribution asap. Maybe they are going beyond/outside of Excel compatibility. That would of course not be good for Novell.
    I don't have a whole bunch of understanding how those things work.
    We plow on...

Thanks
    I don't know about the current situation, but Sun used to subsidise the development of OOO to some extent so that they could reap the benefits for StarOffice. I don't imagine Novell have much interest in assisting them there by integrating their development efforts into the mainstream version of OOO.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel