5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently upgraded from XP to Winndows 7. Regarding Microsoft Office I had over the years started with Office 2000, upgraded Excel to version 2002,
    and then upgraded to Office Home and Student 2007, as I migrated from Windows 98 to XP. So, when I did the Windows 7 upgrade, I followed the same sequence: Office 2000, Excel 2002, and finally Office 2007. All went fine. Then, shame on me, yesterday I fouled things up trying to get rid of Outlook 2000. Somehow I scrwed up Office 2007.
    In trying to recover, I repaired Office 2000. I re-installed Excel 2002. However, when trying to install Office 2007, I get the message:" install encountered an error during setup." Before I screw things up even more, I thought I better stop and ask for help and/or suggestions.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you did a true upgrade of Windows 7, then you shouldn't have had to reinstall Office apps. But if you did then you probably lost all of the updates put out by Microsoft. Is there any reason to retain Office 2000 or Excel 2002?
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as retaining earlier versions, since I'm not a computer guru, and thought that I had to reinstall my application programs when I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, I put the Office apps back in the order that they had been installed previously over time.

To the point of my request for help, since posting, I have resolved the issue by doing the following:
    I installed and ran the Windows Installer Clean-up program, and deleted Office 2007 from the list.
    I have a 3 partition system, with all my apps including Office on G:\ - so when I found Office 2007 folders on my C:\ drive, I deleted these too.

Then, I installed Office 2007 on my G:\ drive; and the installation ran to the end successfully.

Thank you for your help.

One lesson I've had hammered home to me is to stop trying to tweak and tune Windows 7. The few "gains" I've achieved are not worth the days of frustration nor the time spent recovering from one of my screw-ups.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Yalmokas View Post
    As far as retaining earlier versions, since I'm not a computer guru, and thought that I had to reinstall my application programs when I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, I put the Office apps back in the order that they had been installed previously over time.
    You are correct that reinstallation of programs is required when moving directly from XP to Win7. A direct move requires a clean install of Win7 even though Microsoft calls it an upgrade.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:
    Thank you for your confirming reply.
    Dick Y.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My earlier post talked about problems with Office 2007 setup. As described, I finally got the suite to install.
    Well, my joy was short-lived.

Now, when I open an Excel sheet, Word document etc. Office 2007 installer comes on and reinstalls itself before opening my file.
    I've run Office 2007 repair. No joy.
    I uninstalled Office 2000 off my machine. Ran Office 2007 repair. No joy.
    I uninstalled Office 2007, and then reinstalled it again. Same ol' story.

When I Google the problem, I see others posting the same problem under Vista. But I haven't seen any answers for this problem under either Vista or Windows 7.

Can anyone help me with this problem, please?

Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you running two versions of Office (2000 and 2007) on the same machine?

If so, jumping from one version to the other will always have to do this install to get the settings right for that version.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DaveA:
    I had been. But, as I mentioned just above your reply, one of the things I tried was uninstalling Office 2000. The only suite I'm running now is Office 2007.
    It still keeps on installing when I open a Word Document or an Excel workbook.

One thing I've been "afraid" to do was check (to get rid of) the various Office 2007 items listed when I run the Installer Clean-up tool.
    My thought was to check the items, uninstall Office 2007, and reinstall it - but I dont want to make things any worse.

Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Yalmokas View Post
    My thought was to check the items, uninstall Office 2007, and reinstall it - but I dont want to make things any worse.
    Apparently there are hidden dependencies when you install OfficeNewer over OfficeOlder, and removing OfficeOlder can trip up OfficeNewer. Unless someone has devised an ingenious shortcut -- which I won't rule out -- the usual harsh medicine is to rip out all Offices and reinstall just the versions/applications you want.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I'm tired, and not communicating very well. I have already gone the route of uninstalling Office 2000 and 2007, and reinstalling 2007 . . . and get the same continuing installer results when I open Word and/or Excel.

My last question was about using the Installer Cleanup tool to remove the applicable entries there; but as I said, I was "afraid" of the consequences (based on the warning Microsoft provides if you go to do that.)

I have also thought about using RevoUninstaller to remove all traces of Office 2007, and then reinstalling it; but again I'm gunshy of having thousands of registry items deleted by RevoUninstaller.

Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Revo uninstaller is an excellent piece of software. I have been using Revo for several years now and have never had a problem after allowing the software to delete registry keys..

If you are still unsure of the safety of revo and after reading the messages posted in this thread, my suggestion would be to start afresh by reformatting your windows drive, re-install Windows 7 then re-install all your applications but only using office 2007 without installing your previous version - office 2000 and excel 2002.

Yes it is the last resort and time consuming but compared to all the time that has been lost tryng to repair the situation up to now, it should prove to be time well spent.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've used Revo for a number of years too, and that was not my concern. It was with how many registry keys Revo would delete, and whether I'd be able to re-install Office 2007 afterwards. For example, when I used Revo to uninstall Office 2000 during my long march to solving this problem, Revo deleted over 5000 keys.

Anyway, the problem has now been solved by using Revo on Office 2007 (only 2 keys were deleted, in spite of all my worries) and reinstalling Office 2007.

Thanks to everybody for all your help. I tend to be wordy, and dont want to waste anybody's time, so let me ask:
    would it be helpful for me to write up my lessons learned, or should we end this thread with my thanks?

Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think your reply is fine as it stands - summarizing it would just add one more post to read - like I have done.
    Wendell