View Poll Results: Windows 7 N and KN limitations

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • I missed the features and I will download the Media Feature Pack.

0 0%
  • I don't care about the missing Media features, so I won't download it.

0 0%
  • I don't miss them, but I will download anyway.

0 0%
  • I knew they would be limited so I purchased the full version.

1 50.00%
  • What limited edition?

1 50.00%
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    The EU in all its wisdom required MS to offer limited versions of Windows 7 (as well as XP and Vista) to its European customers. The limitations were the removal of Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, and a bunch of other useful features. Users who installed Windows 7 N found quite a few things missing from the start menu, and until now, had no way to fix it.

The good news for these users is that MS has released theMedia Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN. This BIG (free) download will supposedly install all the missing goodies.

I would be interested to hear how this goes for people in this situation.

BH

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Houser View Post
    The EU in all its wisdom required MS to offer limited versions of Windows 7 (as well as XP and Vista) to its European customers. The limitations were the removal of Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, and a bunch of other useful features. Users who installed Windows 7 N found quite a few things missing from the start menu, and until now, had no way to fix it.

The good news for these users is that MS has released theMedia Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN. This BIG (free) download will supposedly install all the missing goodies.

I would be interested to hear how this goes for people in this situation.

BH
    I have just installed it over my existing installation (it really isn't big, unless you're on dial-up), in the hope of getting the missing bits. It required more than one program in my case, but that was no big deal. At any rate I have 7 N purely by accident, it did appear to be missing a few things (I may have been the first to draw attention to it), and I will see if I can spot any differences. I am trying to remember the specific program(s) that wouldn't work.

Edited to add:

Check to see if WMVCore.DLL is among the missing bits. I found that both Nero PhotoSnap Viewer and Ashampoo MusicStudio 3 gave error messages that they required it for installation.

Thanks
    I'm not in Europe but I'd definately love to get my hands on one of these copies.

I strive to be a software minimalist. The less software bundled in an os that I have little use for the better imo.
    The removal of the email client from the os is quite impressive, despite the fact that I actually use it.
    I like to have a choice in what software I choose to use, even if it is something that I would probably use anyway.

So in that light I'd hardly call it limited.

It's unfortunate that it took a lawsuit to do this, despite not being in anyway in favor of this lawsuit in the first place.

...Is this a contradiction
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.