New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone any experience getting transitions created in the PowerPoint 2010 beta not playing in PowerPoint 2007? More specifically, I created slides with several routine animations in 2010 that not only didn't play properly in 2007, they stopped the kiosk mode presentation from advancing at all. I would think that, since both 2010 and 2007 use the .pptx file format, backwards compatibility wouldn't be an issue.
    Michael Styles
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would think that, since both 2010 and 2007 use the .pptx file format, backwards compatibility wouldn't be an issue.
    I can NOT agree with you, the use of the "doc" and the "dot" was used even in the DOS days, and they were NOT always compatible with the newer versions.
    So why would all newer versions with enhancements always be backward compatible?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since .pptx is just xml you would be saying that all xml should run in PowerPoint!

Having said that AFAIK all animations should play in 2007. Not all transitions though which did you mean?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, it was several animations, rather than transitions, that apparently caused the slide show stoppage. Transitions seem to degrade properly from 2010 to 2007--the great new checkerboards and dissolves degrade back to 2007 checkerboards and dissolves. It was several simple motion paths on slides created by 2010 that caused 2007 to just stop playing completely. The reason I would expect backwards compatibility is that there is no "2007 Compatibility" save setting, as there is a "97-2003 Compatibility" setting.
    Michael Styles
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And remember that this is a BETA copy, which may be different when it goes RTM.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not seen any 2010 files that wouldn't play at all in 2007. Obviously some of the new video features and some transitions don't play as in 2010 but they should play. Motion paths shoul;d be unchanged. If you have time mail me an example? john ATSIGN pptalchemy.co.uk