New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win 7 from clean install over XP.

I have update settings set to notify but don't download or install.

Nevertheless, nearly every day between 3-6 PM MS downloads and installs what system restore reports as a critical update.

Any of the gurus know what is going on with this?

Thomas

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are some updates that are required and no matter what settings you have they WILL be installed. I believe that one of them is the "Defender" which has daily updates.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go to you Windows Update screen and "view installed updates" it will tell you what has been installed when. I was kind of surprised to see that Defender is doing updates on it's own with Windows 7 after seeing this post, but it does make more sense to automatically update a security product as most anti-virus products do. Vista kept bugging me to do the Defender updates every few days until I turned Defender off.

Thing that concerns me is that this is happening and I did not know it. Another change with Windows 7 that I never saw documented.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is a well known fact about Defender. It was made known in several writes ups during Beta, but I do not remember who and where these write us are.

Lounger
    Thanks
    On 'Windows Update', if you go to 'Change Settings' on the left, make sure 'Recommended Updates' box is checked. That should stop some more of them from auto-download. I have 'Check for updates, but let me choose...' chosen and the 'Recommended' box checked. I've only been running Win 7 over Vista since Nov. 18th, but I've always been notified about the downloads. Defender updates are marked as 'Important' not 'Critical'. My update history shows no 'Critical' updates. I guess the real test is Tuesday, the 8th.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just checked, after reading Paul's post, my WU settings, they were set to install automatically. !!! I Know I set this to the check and let me choose option, but it had reset to the default at some point. So I reset it to "check ..." and WinPatrol pops up a windows to confirm this change and I say yes. I go back to WU settings and it is back to install automatically. After a few times of this I read the WinPatrol pop up more closely and it is asking if I wanted to "prevent" the change not "allow" it. One needs to say no in order for the change to be permanent. LOL, tricky programmers, actually want you to read their pop ups. I believe that upon install WinPatrol may have asked me about this setting and I probably said yes, and it reset and all of the updates have been installing automatically since. This is not a terrible, horrible thing, but it is not the way I like my systems to be set. I think it is hilarious that I got caught out like this, after how many, many times have I told customers that "you need to read the pop up windows".

After I finally got this set, I looked at my history and Microsoft pushed some XML updates this morning, which installed automatically on my system hehe. Interesting, must have been something serious for them to push it today and not Tuesday, probably read about it tomorrow.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I have my WU settings the way I wanted them, Defender is asking to download and install updates again. This is good IMO.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, you need to install ALL of the Defender updates.