Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Title sort of says it, Windows Explorer has shut down and restarted more since I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Home Pre 64bit then I have ever seen with Vista, XP etc. Not other issues that I am aware of and I can't give a "right before" it happens heads up, it just seems to happen out of the blue......S

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Stan:

Did you start your upgrade from the Vista desktop or did you boot from the Windows 7 installation media?

If you didn't start out with a clean install, that might explain your issue.

I'm a bit rushed here and will keep this message brief. If you need more information, holler, and if I can't make it back soon, then others can supply any details you ask for.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Go into your BIOS and change the setting "Reboot on Error". Then you should get a BSOD with an error code. Post back with the error code

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tim, Thanks for your response. I believe I booted up to my Vista desktop and the put in the upgrade disc and installed Win 7, I did the upgrade so I could preserve my settings and app and all seemed to go well. If the shut down and restart of win Explorer is cause by this type of install it seems to be the only glitch, thanks.....Stan Paul, thanks for your response, I'm sort of new to this stuff, how do I go about going to my BIOS and when and if it happens again how would I find this BSOD w/ an error code so I could copy and paste it back to you all? Thanks....Stan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Rubin View Post
    [snip]
    [...] and when and if it happens again how would I find this BSOD w/ an error code so I could copy and paste it back to you all?
    Windows has a setting that makes it restart the PC at system or hardware errors (Stop errors). This is intended to help (most users) since a restart is the only way around, and if a smaller error, a glitch, it maybe never happens again.

At these system/hardware errors Windows shows a Stop error message (a.k.a. Blue Screen of Death, BSOD), that can be a help in troubleshooting, but when the PC reboots there is no chance to see the message. In your case it's perhaps better to set Windows to halt at the Error.
    • In Control Panel select System (or System and Security and then System) OR press Windows-key + Pause/Break.
    • In the Control Panel pane, left, select Advanced system settings.
    • In the Advanced tab (it should be selected), in the Startup and Recovery section click the Settings button.
    • In the Startup and Recovery dialogue, uncheck "Automatically restart", in the System failure section.
    • Click OK on your way out.

Now you have to restart the PC, for the change to take effect. If you get an error message (BSOD) later on, type down error number, file names mentioned etc. Since Windows now halt at the BSOD, you will have to restart the PC yourself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had that kind of problem w/Vista but after a clean install of Win7 hasn't ever appeared so far. The BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) may not be an issue as i didn't see that you mentioned that happening. menawhile, to get to your BIOS to make the change Paul suggested depends on your make of pc. do a full reboot and look for a statement that says something like: hit "delete to enter setup" it could be an "f" key or whatever. Hit that when you see it and you'll get into the BIOS and find that option and change it to see if that helps. If the computer locks up or wants to reboot then you'll be able to see the error code on the BSOD. then you can google to find a fix. You can always go back into the BIOS and set defaults to revert the change you made.
    Good Luck!
    kevin
    --------------------------------------
    ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU, 4GB Corsair RAM, Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video, Windows 7 64bit

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Argus and Kevin, I think I might go back and try a clean install with the Win upgrade disc. I though the original upgrade would be painless, live and learn. Thanks again for all your input and suggestions, I'll store away your pearls and add them to my repertoire ...Stan

Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, I've not seen a BIOS that has a "restart on error" setting. I've only seen that in the operating system. So, Stan, if you don't see that in your computer's BIOS, you're not necessarily blind. I would frankly be surprised if you found such a setting there. Edited to add: Argus has detailed the steps I would take to toggle the setting in Windows 7.

You can check your error logs and see what happened at the time that your system restarted. Click Start, type or paste eventvwr.msc in the menu search box, and hit Enter. (I think of that as being short for Event Viewer.)

Search through that for errors. Bear in mind this is a log of everything that happens on your system, and most of it is good. Do not be alarmed by the large number of entries. Most of them are benign. But if Windows was able to log the error before restarting, you'll see it in here.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tim and folks thanks, maybe I was not clear (good possibility) when windows explorer shuts down I do not get a BSOD, just a little dialogue box that says win ex shutting down and restarting, I may be able to live with that, and I have not started a clean install for win 7, still want to hold on to all my settings etc and have not done a system disc with all on it yet, I'm new and nervous about all this. Thanks you all for your input....S

Lounger
    Thanks
    Stan:

>> when windows explorer shuts down I do not get a BSOD, just a little dialogue box that says win ex shutting down and restarting, I may be able to live with that <<

I would not want to live with that. One of the first things I do is what Argus suggested above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Windows has a setting that makes it restart the PC at system or hardware errors (Stop errors). This is intended to help (most users) since a restart is the only way around, and if a smaller error, a glitch, it maybe never happens again.

At these system/hardware errors Windows shows a Stop error message (a.k.a. Blue Screen of Death, BSOD), that can be a help in troubleshooting, but when the PC reboots there is no chance to see the message. In your case it's perhaps better to set Windows to halt at the Error.
    • In Control Panel select System (or System and Security and then System) OR press Windows-key + Pause/Break.
    • In the Control Panel pane, left, select Advanced system settings.
    • In the Advanced tab (it should be selected), in the Startup and Recovery section click the Settings button.
    • In the Startup and Recovery dialogue, uncheck "Automatically restart", in the System failure section.
    • Click OK on your way out.

Now you have to restart the PC, for the change to take effect. If you get an error message (BSOD) later on, type down error number, file names mentioned etc. Since Windows now halt at the BSOD, you will have to restart the PC yourself.
    I truly believe that's a better way to work with Windows. But if you don't want to make that change, you can still use Event Viewer to see what caused your system to restart on you -- if Windows is able to log the error before the reboot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok Tim, I did it, now I'll wait for it to do it again, and copy any messages or numbers.......Thanks Stan

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Rubin View Post
    Ok Tim, I did it, now I'll wait for it to do it again, and copy any messages or numbers.......Thanks Stan
    Stan:

Now if you're lucky, you'll get the same annoying effect I get when I take the car in to be diagnosed for a noise -- which magically disappears when I drive in the lot...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been there, done that, thanks, Stan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a clean install. I am having a similar problem that doesn't involve the hardware. When I open "My Computer" and access any of my drives, then close the app, I get an error message that WExplorer is closing and restarting. The only visual cue is that the desktop is redrawn. A couple of times, none of the desktop icons appeared. Hovering the mouse where they would be showed an Aero outline of the link but no action could be taken. The Gadgets section and Taskbar remain unchanged and functional but only a reboot seems to bring back the Desktop icon/links.
    This is one of several teething problems with W7. The others involve Outlook 2007 and Firefox.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I J Black:

I'm not at my Vista computer at the moment. These steps should be the same, though.

Click on the Start orb and type or paste devmgmt.msc into the search entry box. That will bring up Device Manager. Is any category expanded with a yellow exclamation point next to a device?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast