Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I J Black View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a clean install. I am having a similar problem that doesn't involve the hardware. When I open "My Computer" and access any of my drives, then close the app, I get an error message that WExplorer is closing and restarting. The only visual cue is that the desktop is redrawn. A couple of times, none of the desktop icons appeared. Hovering the mouse where they would be showed an Aero outline of the link but no action could be taken. The Gadgets section and Taskbar remain unchanged and functional but only a reboot seems to bring back the Desktop icon/links.
    Have you checked the event logs?

Has the problem been from the start of Win7 or is it something that happened very recently?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Stan, we upgraded my wife's laptop from Vista and, last night, it repeatedly kept saying that IE had an error and it was shutting down. We finally downloaded the latest version of Skype (which was loading automatically on boot) and that fixed it. So it's probably some program that depends on IE and not IE itself. You might have a look in the Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs) and see if it gives you a clue.
    HTH
    Gregg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I experienced this problem after running Win7 (32-bit) as an Upgrade. After opening Control Panel, selecting Folder Options, selecting the View tab, checking "launch Folder Windows in a seperate process" and clicking Apply my problem appears to have gone away. This change was made on 12/5 and, since that time, I have not experienced the problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had made that change as well and haven't had the problem occur since; been a month or so.

Gregg: his problem is with Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer but that is good advice for someone!

kevin
    --------------------------------------
    ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU, 4GB Corsair RAM, Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video, Windows 7 64bit

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WoW - i had no idea someone else would have a problem similar to mine = i was and still am at a loss until i can get back to my work computer.
    I just joined the forum today.

Running Win 7 Ult (64) = when i eject a flash drive, Win Explorer (file system) loses contact with all network drives and then even my other local drives. Only "favorites" is active and will bring up the file system, but just those in the favorite folder. So far only rebooting will correct the problem.

I first i suspected Zone Alarm, but everything seems to work on my laptop Win 7 Ult (32) and our back up desktop (older) also Win 7 Ult (64).
    But both of those were XP machines with clean install. My main computer, which is having the trouble is newer and came with Vista Ult (64) and i updated with the disk from MS to Win 7 Ult (64) keeping all my older programs, which all seem to run fine. It is just Win Exp that continues to fail.

Tomorrow i will try what William described.
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the many responses. I am going to try what I can and will let the crew know....Stan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fellows, I had the same problem on a clean install of Win7 from XP, Windows Explorer crashed every time I went to the control panel and would then restart. Did a reinstall, same thing. 3rd time checked my onboard sound which had been disabled previously, Win7 enabled it on install. Turned it off again and now haven't had the problem in over 2 weeks. If you use a sound card, turn off your onboard sound before you do the install.
    Hope that helps someone.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the same problem almost since I installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. After trying all the other suggested fixes that did not work I finally found the solution that works for me. Disable Private Browsing in Firefox http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/503088 This link has a more complete explanation; My link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same "Windows Explorer has stopped working" issue, and it happened almost daily. I did a couple times clean installations of Window 7 professional (64-bit) after I first encountered the problem. I tried different methods as recommended by different websites, and the problem happened again. Finally, I disabled the "Private Browsing" features in Firefox as suggested by Jake Wingate, the Windows Explorer problem seemed solved. I have not had the issue since 12/19/2009.

Thanks
    Someone may have mentioned this but who knows. Microsoft has a program that allows you to transfer your settings to a temporary storage device. It is called Windows Easy Transfer. If you already have Win 7 OS, it is located under Start, Getting Started, Transfer My Files. It takes too long to transfer everything, but worked well for me in transfering desktop settings, etc. You will have all your files available in the windows.old folder that Win 7 creates for you. All these files can be dragged to where ever you want them in the new OS.

I believe your problem may be choosing the upgrade rather than Clean Install. For what it's worth most of the problems I have heard or read about happened because of the upgrade. Too much stuff is left over from Vista that tends to clash with Win 7 in many unexpected ways. I would suggest doing the above, then insert your Win 7 DVD in your DVD reader and restart the PC. When the statement "Hit any key to boot from disk" appears, do so. Then choose custom and do a clean install over your present OS. As stated most of you settings and files will be maintain while at the same time giving you a brand new OS rather than an upgraded cobbled OS. Plus, I have found that even not using Easy Transfer it only took 3 to 4 hours to clean install and get back to an operating system that was hard to distinguish from my old Vista OS.

I hope this helps with your trouble. Happy Holidays!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12