2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found it disconcerting to see my real name displayed with my post. I chose a logon ID that did not reveal my name in order to keep my privacy, so I was not pleased at all to see that it was not used with my posts but my real name instead. Why am I concerned? Once Google looks over these pages, my name gets recorded there. I'm not a fanatic about privacy, and I'm not the kind of person who abuses discussion groups with heated or inappropriate messages, but I don't want my activities on the Internet, as harmless as they may be, to be made so public. As a result, I may decide not to do any more posting to Windows Secrets Lounge. So my suggestion is to allow users to use a pseudonym.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See this FAQ How do I change my display name. I know a lot of new loungers would agree with you concerning seeing their names showing up on posts. I was surprised by the change in the way new members were being display when the lounge was announced to the WS people.

Thanks
    You mean like my real name?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm grateful for the user raising the question of login name appearing with communications - I too was somewhat surprised to see that kind of arrangement. However, thanx to mdbct:for the helpful reply - fixed in seconds.
    Telling it Like I See it...
    Tel Mack

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed my display name so that my real name is not displayed. I agree with many others that displaying a real name is an invitation to trouble.
    I tried to contact an administrator as requested. But I do not know how!.
    2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trivium View Post
    I tried to contact an administrator as requested. But I do not know how!.
    There is a link at the bottom of this page. Actually, it's: http://windowssecrets.com/contact/

Thanks
    Hmmmm! Something is amiss!

When I first signed up from the link in the Windows Secrets Newsletter, the first box asked for my first and last name.
    Nothing unusual there. Many forum administrators like to have the REAL names of their members.
    Then there was a box for "Display Name" where I put my internet Nic-Name.

On my very first post, my real name came up on the post, not my 'Display Name'.
    (My chosen Signature DID NOT show up either)

In order to maintain my internet security, I had to DELETE that post and re-register,
    without ever putting in my Real Name. Sorry about that.
    I've never seen that action on any of the other forums where I'm an active member.

I fixed it, but not in the way I would have liked to.
    It would appear to the non-programmer that there's still some glitches in the forum software.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
    The Doctor

PS: After posting this, I see that my chosen signature is still NOT showing up. What's up with that?
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As I mentioned in another thread, I'm seeing both your picture and your signature. You probably need a "hard refresh."

I've been around a long time, so have not been through the "new" registration process. However, I think that after registering, your real name would show until you go into your PROFILE and change the display name. Check that out because as I say, I haven't registered lately. (Unless of course an ADMIN would like to jump in here and answer the question!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I totally concur with this sentiment. The real name should not appear ANYWHERE in the publicly viewable pages...very bad form!

And the registration page is extremely misleading to have separate entries for real name and display name, then use the real name for the display.

I strongly urge the administrators to correct this with the greatest haste.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    When I first signed up from the link in the Windows Secrets Newsletter, the first box asked for my first and last name.
    Then there was a box for "Display Name" where I put my internet Nic-Name.
    Strictly speaking, I think you would have been asked for a 'User name':

[attachment=87181:x.gif]
    which is used for 'signing in'.

Having said that, I think you are in the majority who feel slightly misled and - in my view - rightly expected their 'User name' to be their 'Display name'. A perusal of this forum will show you are not alone in objecting to your real name being displayed and the suggested 'fix' - FAQ: How to change your display name - still keeps a publicly-available record of your changes:

[attachment=87185:y.gif]

This is not a 'glitch' as you put it, but a lack of clarity in the registering process, and I would ask the Administrators to change the wording to make it explicitly clear that the requested full name you register with is the 'user name' that will be shown against your posts.

In his Welcome, Windows Secrets readers and visitors post, Brian asks you to enter your name and urges new visitors to also post genuine pictures of themselves in the interests of global communications. Whilst this may be true for some, my personal opinion is to base my trust on experience and track record, not on their name or image.

There are many reasons why contributors may not wish their true identity to be publicly available. There could be justification, for example, in not wishing your employer to know you are assisting others in company time (albeit you may be gaining knowledge at the same time). If it were to be a requirement that full, real names must be used, I suspect it would both deter valuable contributions and encourage fabrications, which I know to be employed.

There is also the volatile subject of personal privacy, which is open to multiple interpretations. Whilst I implicitly trust the statement "we will not disclose any personal information you have provided to .... any ... outside parties without your permission" included in the Windows Secrets Lounge - Privacy Statement, it seems distinctly at odds with the automatic and blatant use of a user's name beside each of their posts. To some it may not matter, but to others, the statement "There is no initial personal information displayed on a user's profile until the user edits his or her profile to add it. Users may add to, amend, or delete this information at any time by editing their profile." is fundamentally untrue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (9.1 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: gif y.gif (25.0 KB, 0 views)