Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's all very nice that registered members have been given the ability to change their display name again, but wouldn't it be better to change back the registration form and ask for the display name there, instead of for first name and last name? We had that in all previous versions of the Lounge, and there was much less confusion then. Now members who initially give their real name will be visible with that name until they stumble upon the FAQ or one of the topics about name change in this forum.

It may seem like a good idea to have members register with their real name, but there can be very legitimate reasons for wanting to use a nickname instead of your real name on the internet - there's nothing sinister about it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I second that.

It's perhaps even more important now that the Lounge is being revealed to Google and the like.

Not that I ever posted from work when I was in IT- but if I ever did, I would not have been happy if my boss had googled my name and found me. We may be improving the productivity of workplaces around the world be showing the real name, but perhaps not helping the quality of the Lounge.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One other niggle with the registration form is that it doesn't allow two people with the same name to sign up. I prefer to use my full given name - Robert but had to shorten it to Rob to register. With the registration form asking for an alias or username should illiminate the requirement for unique real names. Using facebook - there are over 100 people registered on facebook with the same forename and surname as myself so imagine the 'fun' if all of them wanted to register. This is just a recipe for people to use false names.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    People who search for names on the Internet are able to put together an awful lot of information about us.

If you value your privacy then it is normal to use different registration names for all the different things you do, to prevent these being gathered together by other people.