Thread: Old Chestnut

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After use, which is more benifical to the life of the computer.

a) Sleep Mode
    b) Hibernation.............( where is it in Windows 7?)
    c) Switching off

Thanks in advance.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't tell you which is better for the life of the computer, but I can tell you which is better for your electric bill: hibernation. Sleep mode keeps a trickle of electricity running to the computer. Hibernation saves everything just as it is, then shuts down completely. Shut down doesn't save anything, then shuts down. I use hibernation. However, you need to shut down, not hibernate, on a regular basis (say, once a month) to flush things out (sucked-up memory, background files in use, etc.).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For location of Hibernate in Win7 see the graphic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You may need to enable hibernation in Windows 7. For details see how to enable hibernate option In Windows 7

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D Goldstein View Post
    Can't tell you which is better for the life of the computer, but I can tell you which is better for your electric bill: hibernation. Sleep mode keeps a trickle of electricity running to the computer. Hibernation saves everything just as it is, then shuts down completely. Shut down doesn't save anything, then shuts down. I use hibernation. However, you need to shut down, not hibernate, on a regular basis (say, once a month) to flush things out (sucked-up memory, background files in use, etc.).
    The pedant in me suggests that you are almost correct about hibernation, except when you have a wired connection.

If you power off a system unit, and take the side panel off, you will probably see an orange LED on the motherboard. If you look round the back, you may well see a green light on the Network Interface Card, if you have a (connected) ethernet patch cable in it. However, the power consumed is a fraction of a watt...
    The only way to use zero power is to power the system unit off at the switch by the power supply unit (if it has one) or (the equivalent) to remove the mains cable from the PSU's socket.

It's an interesting exercise measuring the power consumption of a PC's system unit is the various 'modes', and also that of your PC monitor, using a "power consumption meter" (names vary). Unfortunately the resolution of these things is usually an integral number of watts, so when standing by/hibernating you may be able to measure 1 W, or 0 W, but not in between.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This subject is just another which is better.
    Most of the same people that are trying to save power with their PC and attached equipment, need to have a look at the rest of the house. turn OFF all of the light at night and go looking for all of those small red, green and blue lights around your entertainment center, cell phones, iPods and etc. They all are using more power that your PC is, just so you can get you music, movies and phone NOW.

One even needs to go look in the hobby area and see all of the battery chargers to are running to charge up for the tools. And do not forget to look in the bathrooms for the toothbrush and razor chargers.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The advantage of hibernation over sleep is that - as well as using less power when left on at the wall - you're protected if there's an accidental or deliberate loss of power. And you can turn off the machine at any time but still wake it up from hibernation when required.

Get the best of both worlds. Enable "Hybrid Sleep" which is a smart feature of Vista and Windows 7.

Then, when you put the machine to sleep, it also saves the hibernation file. You can wake it up from sleep as normal, but if you turn off the power (deliberately or otherwise) the machine can be resumed from hibernation when power is restored.

If you set up your power options accordingly you can have - for instance - after 30 minutes go into (hybrid) sleep mode, then after 120 minutes go into full hibernation.

I've noticed on my Windows 7 machine with 8GB of RAM that it resumes from hibernation a lot quicker than it did with Vista which took almost as long to resume from an 8GB hib file as it did to do a cold boot.
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to turn off hibernation and remove the .hib file in win7 the gui will not let you remove it. However you can remove it by using the command line "powercfg" this will allow you full control of the power configuration of your system. to use it open a command prompt in admin mode. The command you need to see all the options you can use is "powercfg /?" followed by the return key. The command to remove the .hib fill and stop using hibernation is "powercfg -H off" followed by the return key. use the command line with care as the worng command can damage your OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I always shutdown (daily). Hard drives generally have a life expectancy of 27,000 hours (3 years). That said however, rebooting daily also takes it toll on them. I like to refresh my system daily and free up the resources that some of my software has gobbled up and not released. I always see a performance hit if I leave my system up for several days.

Thanks
    Hopefully this os will be different, but generally windows appears to demand a good boot every so often....and often.

I find the hibrid sleep on this os quite curious;
    I was in the middle of doing an encode in virtualdubmod when the computer went into this "hibrid sleep".
    I got back to it a few hrs later and noticed that the computer seemed to be off. [off as in no lights or fan movements]
    When I turned it back on (from the front panel), vdmod started from where it left off and when it was done there were no
    errors or file corruption reported with the compression. I don't ever recall this kind of behavior in any prior os before.
    The fact that it just picked up where it left off without a problem was a surprise to me. It usually crashes (VD).
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Hopefully this os will be different, but generally windows appears to demand a good boot every so often....and often.

I find the hibrid sleep on this os quite curious;
    I was in the middle of doing an encode in virtualdubmod when the computer went into this "hibrid sleep".
    I got back to it a few hrs later and noticed that the computer seemed to be off. [off as in no lights or fan movements]
    When I turned it back on (from the front panel), vdmod started from where it left off and when it was done there were no
    errors or file corruption reported with the compression. I don't ever recall this kind of behavior in any prior os before.
    The fact that it just picked up where it left off without a problem was a surprise to me. It usually crashes (VD).
    This problem can be traced back to Windows 7 RC, perhaps even the beta (see this post). Like you, I've noticed that this 'dozing off' is still an issue now too.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    It looks to me like hibernation in Windows 7 is on by default and when the system goes to sleep everything in memory goes to the
    hard drive, by way of the hybernation file.
    I was just suprised that a program would wake up and continue on in the middle of an encode, of all things.

In all previous operating systems that I've owned, I would have gotten rid of anyform of hybernation function to preserve space.
    There doesn't appear to be a clear way of disabling hibernation in Windows 7, aside from deleting the file or a command promt
    shut off/removal??

It's not a bad feature, I guess I should have set the time for longer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    In all previous operating systems that I've owned, I would have gotten rid of anyform of hybernation function to preserve space.
    There doesn't appear to be a clear way of disabling hibernation in Windows 7, aside from deleting the file or a command promt
    shut off/removal??
    See Rahul's Blog : Disable Hibernate in Windows 7.

Joe
    Joe