Thread: KB 955706

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to install update KB 955706 for several months, both manually and by allowing Windows automatic updates to try. Windows automatic updates installs all kinds of updates but will always fail when trying to install KB 955706. After such attempts I find new directories with long alpha numeric names on my C:/ drive. Some of these directories are empty, some contain a file called startup.exe (2,102 KB)
    I'm not entirely convinced that I need this update, but the fact that Windows keeps trying to install it worries me.
    Secunia has not reported this missing update as an error.
    I am running XP professional SP-3 on a new HP desktop purchased in July 2009.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks..............Derek

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the same problem. It isn't you, is it?

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...a-bad2558c06e0
    Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No Mike, that wasn't me. However, I followed your link and found the alternative files, downloaded and installed them. I think I am done but I still don't know if I need, or want this update. I was only getting agitated because Windows kept trying and failing to install it and I was worried that it might be important.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards.......................Derek

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you got sorted, Derek. Unless you're into databases my guess is that you could live without it. As a personal note, I tend to keep everything patched, because you never know when you might need it down the road... .net is a good example.
    Mike

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm guessing you have SQLExpress installed? Check to see if the SQLExpress service is set to disabled. If so, set it to Manual and start it. Then try the update again. You may also want to verify if you actually need SQL on your machine. If not, you might consider uninstalling it.
    Chuck