New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious about why nobody ever mentions the Norman Security Suite. I use it and love it. I can't possibly be all alone with it!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Norman Suite is not necessarily a bad one, but it doesn't score very high in the widely cited AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Main-Tests.

Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, the AV Comparative test thing is going to take some serious perusal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lasch View Post
    Hmmm, the AV Comparative test thing is going to take some serious perusal.
    They have a somewhat peculiar methodology: they test for prospective protection by taking a system updated through a certain date and exposing it to malware released after that date. Since AV software is routinely updated every few days, I've never been convinced of the value of this test.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like I said at the very beginning. I've used it now for 3 years and am completely satisfied.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lasch View Post
    Like I said at the very beginning. I've used it now for 3 years and am completely satisfied.
    Depends on the year you bought it. NIS 2007 was a known resource hog. Ive heard (and I think I read it too) that Symantec lost a ton of customers on it, so they fixed it in NIS 2008. Supposedly it was rated tops by PC Mag in their annual security suite testing in 2008.

Havent heard anything about a newer version. But I still stay away from any Symantec product for personal reasons; my tech support experiences have been absolutely horrible.

I now use what comes free from my ISP, they currently give me McAfee Security Suite, and it runs on a 64 bit system. But if I didnt get one free, Id probably use AVG free, with comodo firewall and superantispyware or malwarebytes for adware/spyware. YMMV.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WmGoat View Post
    Depends on the year you bought it. NIS 2007 was a known resource hog. Ive heard (and I think I read it too) that Symantec lost a ton of customers on it, so they fixed it in NIS 2008. Supposedly it was rated tops by PC Mag in their annual security suite testing in 2008.

Havent heard anything about a newer version. But I still stay away from any Symantec product for personal reasons; my tech support experiences have been absolutely horrible.

I now use what comes free from my ISP, they currently give me McAfee Security Suite, and it runs on a 64 bit system. But if I didnt get one free, Id probably use AVG free, with comodo firewall and superantispyware or malwarebytes for adware/spyware. YMMV.
    The OP mentions NORMAN not Norton.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The OP mentions NORMAN not Norton.

Joe
    Duh! Sorry. Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading free seminar failed me again!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually WmGoat, you are making the common mistake. I'm talking about Norman not Norton. But that's OK, because most people make the same one