Thread: NTLDR missing

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had Widows 7 on a dual boot hard drive. I wanted to put it on a separate hard drive. I made an image if the partition it was on. I restored the image to a different hard drive. When I tried to boot it I get this message:
    NTLDR is missing
    Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart
    Needless to say pressing Ctrl At Del just gets me back to the same place.
    What did I do wrong?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen47 View Post
    I had Widows 7 on a dual boot hard drive. I wanted to put it on a separate hard drive. I made an image if the partition it was on. I restored the image to a different hard drive. When I tried to boot it I get this message:
    NTLDR is missing
    Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart
    Needless to say pressing Ctrl At Del just gets me back to the same place.
    What did I do wrong?
    IF Windows 7 was not the primary OS in the dual boot environment, you need to do a repair of the Windows 7 install.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if it was or not. XP was on the drive first but Windows 7 booted first.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I'm not sure if it was or not. XP was on the drive first but Windows 7 booted first.
    If XP was on the drive first that means the XP partition had the files needed to do the initial boot sequence. You need to try a repair of your Win7 install.

NOTE: If you can you should backup the Win7 drive first.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to confirm: did you delete the original Win7 installation or is the WinXP boot sequence seeing two identical versions of the Win7 install in different places?
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the whole story. I have two hard drives for my laptop. on one of them I had XP Home and Windows 7 in a dual boot situation. This set up worked fine except I was having problems updating XP due to some SP3 problems. Microsoft sent me a new version of XP Pro because they sort of screwed up their advice for fixing my problem.
    I installed this on the second hard drive. I decided after a couple of months that I didn't need the home version of XP any longer. I wanted to switch Windows 7 to the smaller hard drive and put XP Pro on the bigger one. I imaged Pro and the Windows 7 partition. I assumed since 7 would boot I didn't need the old XP partition. I then formatted the drive that had Home and 7 on it and copied the XP Pro image to this drive. It is working fine.
    I the copied the Windows 7 image to the other hard drive after formatting it and got the NTLDR Missing message. I ran a repair of 7 and the NTLDR message isn't there any more just a black screen with a blinking cursor.
    Another note this is the RC version of Windows 7. I wanted to try it out first so there isn't or wasn't anything important that would have been lost if this isn't fixable. However I no longer have the installation disk as I cleaned out my "technology drawer" and didn't think I would need it so I tossed it.
    Is this a hopeless situation?

Thanks
    Here is the whole story. I have two hard drives for my laptop. on one of them I had XP Home and Windows 7 in a dual boot situation. This set up worked fine except I was having problems updating XP due to some SP3 problems. Microsoft sent me a new version of XP Pro because they sort of screwed up their advice for fixing my problem.
    I installed this on the second hard drive. I decided after a couple of months that I didn't need the home version of XP any longer. I wanted to switch Windows 7 to the smaller hard drive and put XP Pro on the bigger one. I imaged Pro and the Windows 7 partition. I assumed since 7 would boot I didn't need the old XP partition. I then formatted the drive that had Home and 7 on it and copied the XP Pro image to this drive. It is working fine.
    I the copied the Windows 7 image to the other hard drive after formatting it and got the NTLDR Missing message. I ran a repair of 7 and the NTLDR message isn't there any more just a black screen with a blinking cursor.
    Another note this is the RC version of Windows 7. I wanted to try it out first so there isn't or wasn't anything important that would have been lost if this isn't fixable. However I no longer have the installation disk as I cleaned out my "technology drawer" and didn't think I would need it so I tossed it.
    Is this a hopeless situation?
    I'm stretching my memory on this but your situation does sound similar to one I had a while back. After MUCH messing around, I decided to look in the BIOS and saw the option to change the boot sequence from one drive to another. After switching the HDs sequence, I was able to boot from the original setup OK.
    Should be worth a quick peek in the BIOS for that.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The options in BIOS are boot from HDD or boot from optical drive. I can only have one hard drive in the computer at a time

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The options in BIOS are boot from HDD or boot from optical drive. I can only have one hard drive in the computer at a time
    Somewhere in the BIOS there should be a list of harddrives with one of them flagged as primary (from memory). Check that the drive that you want to boot from is still the primary drive (my PC with an ASUS motherboard occasionally forgets which is which).*

This is in a different place from the boot order section.

John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    What type of motherboard and what BIOS does it use?
    I'd have to look in my BIOS setups to find exactly where it is. The newer Award BIOS does have this setting.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a laptop, Dell Inspiron E 1505. There is only one hard drive to boot from. I have the two OSes on two separate hard drives. I just swap them. I am not really too concerned about what was on the Windows7 partition. I didn't have anything important on it as I was just trying it out. I just would like to know what happened so it doesn't boot.