Thread: Attribute N

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a problem with an Outlook.pst file in Vista, 1.3 GB in size. Fortunately, the file is backed up, both on the same drive and on an external drive. It is in the correct location, it is not encrypted, but it has the attribute N, which I gather means that it is not indexed. I believe that I changed the ownership of the file at one point, by changing the User name.

I cannot see the contents of the Inbox nor of Sent items in Outlook. I have attempted to perform changes in indexing options, which have not helped. (I would be grateful for any advice on how to reset those options to their default value.)

Can anyone suggest a solution, or simply things to try? The data exists, it may be important, and Id like to access it. One possibility that has occurred to me is to use a copy of the backup file Outlook backup.pst and apply that to Outlook on a different computer (which I have, and which is set up, but with Windows 7) on which Outlook contains no significant data.

Thanks
    You could make a backup, and then try the Inbox Repair Tool, ScanPST.exe. See: How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007 @ the MSKB.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    You could make a backup, and then try the Inbox Repair Tool, ScanPST.exe. See: How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007 @ the MSKB.
    I have tried this before now a number of times, and I just tried it again and it said it had found errors, which I don't recall it having done before, and it modified or created four files, including the crucial one, at this time and date. I don't think there is any significant change in filesize. I will, however, go through the documentation more carefully to see if there is anything I missed. (I put the new backup file in a temporary folder so as not to overwrite the previous one.)