phil daniels
    Is there a way to find all the junction folders on a drive other than eyeballs - I'd be happy with a list in a text file..

Please do not suggest I use shortcuts rather than junction folders, which is what I've been told in 3 other places. Shortcuts and junctions behave differently and serve quite different purposes.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Paddock View Post
    Is there a way to find all the junction folders on a drive other than eyeballs - I'd be happy with a list in a text file..
    Is this any help: Junction v1.05? (I have only used 'em once or twice.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I made that post to you I've been fooling around with SysInternals' JUNCTION program and have a couple of observations about it. If you run it from the root C: directory, to search for current junctions (symbolic links) it seems to have trouble with the Windows Page File and sits forever with little "periods" showing. I finally gave up and busted the run. However, if you go below the root directory and search it seems to work OK.

It's a very klutzy program to work with when it comes to creating or deleting junctions.

This probably has little or nothing to do with your original question, but I happened to remember a post or two from a few years ago about this topic and looked up this one from StuartR that demonstrated an EASY way to create symbolic links and one which I used to create the only ones I have in use at the present time:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=494854

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can easily do it from a cmd prompt:

Click Start; then type cmd and press Shift+Ctl+Enter to start a command prompt with elevated privileges. Answer any UAC prompt.

At the command line, type these commands, one line at a time, pressing Enter at the end of each:
    Code:
    CD \
    DIR /S /A:L > JunctionPoints.txt
    START JunctionPoints.txt
    EXIT
    The first line puts you in the root of the partition.
    The second line asks for a directory (listing), from all subfolders, of files with the attribute L, which I presume stands for link, and to put that output into a file named JunctionPoints.txt. (If you already have a file by that name in that place, it will be overwritten.)
    The third line starts the file in your default text editor, which is usually Notepad.
    The fourth line exits the cmd prompt.

Note that you'll have to answer a UAC prompt when you delete C:\JunctionPoints.txt.

If you want to run the command on another drive, at the CMD prompt, type the drive letter followed by a colon and press Enter; then resume with the CD \ command and continue.