phil daniels
    I use Excel 2007 on Windows XP-SP3

Is there a way that I can put a "hot link" into a cell that references a local folder or file - similar to what I can do for a web page

if its a folder then I would expect a double click to open the folder in Windows Explorer,

if its a file the I would expect it to do whatever it would do if I double clicked it in Windows Explorer - eg if its a .doc then open it in Word, if its a .jpg then open it in Irfanview.etc.

And is there a way make it work with a calculated cell, i.e.where the file path is constructed via concatenating values from other cells. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to do that with constructed web urls. I got round the problem, that I couldn't figure out how to make a constructed url behave as a hot link, by saving the spreadsheet as a pdf and hot linking into the browser from a pdf reader. That was an acceptable, if not optimal, solution in that context..

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    These "hotlinks" are called hyperlinks.

For a hyperlink to a fixed website or file:
    • Activate the Insert tab of the ribbon.
    • Click Hyperlink in the Links section.
    • Under Link to, select either Web page or Existing file.

For a hyperlink to a dynamically created path: create a formula using the HYPERLINK function.
    For example, with a path in A1, a filename in B1 and a descriptive text in C1:

=HYPERLINK(A1&"\"&B1,C1)

See Create, select, edit, or delete a hyperlink for more detailed info.

Right Paddock

Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    These "hotlinks" are called hyperlinks.

For a hyperlink to a fixed website or file:
    • Activate the Insert tab of the ribbon.
    • Click Hyperlink in the Links section.
    • Under Link to, select either Web page or Existing file.

For a hyperlink to a dynamically created path: create a formula using the HYPERLINK function.
    For example, with a path in A1, a filename in B1 and a descriptive text in C1:

=HYPERLINK(A1&"\"&B1,C1)

See Create, select, edit, or delete a hyperlink for more detailed info.
    Thanks HansV, that looks like it will do the trick - I'll give a go - Right Paddock