Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Users of Avast and Adaware now have to be more aware when installing either of these products. See After RealPlayer, Avast & AdAware to bundle Chrome browser. | The Windows Club.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a user of Chrome, this seems a reasonable bundle but one can opt out if so desired. Frankly too often users come into PC Tech in Paltalk and fail to have a non-IE based browser installed so this inclusion of Chrome is a good idea and Avast is now covering more malware detection than in the past. Two great pluses.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Its a good heads up and one we should all be aware of. Avast has great detection rates for a free AV solution, while Adaware isnt as good as it used to be.

Chromes EULA is a big misfortune for the software and has actually deterred users away simply for security purposes.

IE can be just as safe as any other browser if you take the proper precautions. Having bundled Avast and Adaware with Chrome just deters me away from both softwares.

With Avast having better detections that it previously has is a good thing, but all AV and antispyware solutions aim to do just that. There are better programs out there that are free as well that dont come bundled with unnecessary software.
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Avast for many years with no troubles.

2 days ago I reinstalled XP and Avast and it as simple as unchecking the Chrome option.

Thanks
    Well, at least we are seeing Google finally take one step to make their Chrome OS/ Chrome Browser more secure.

But I agree that while nearly all Chrome users could benefit from Avast, probably most Avast users do not want Chrome. No logic to that bundling, but Alwil must make money somehow if the free version of Avast is to survive. So I am ambivalent about this development. I think I can live with it, and I will remember to check the No Thanks checkbox for Chrome when installing Avast or during major Avast upgrades.

By the way, neither the Accept nor the No Thanks box comes pre-checked. You have to choose one or the other to proceed with the Avast installation. Much better than the way other free software places a check mark in the install box and you have to uncheck the box or suffer an unwanted adware installation.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mcgroin View Post
    2 days ago I reinstalled XP and Avast and it as simple as unchecking the Chrome option.

You should not have to uncheck the installation of an unwanted browser or toolbar, etc. If the manufacturer wants to offer an addon like a toolbar or browser, etc it should be an optional, yes I want it and check the box, in other words default unchecked, not checked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since the uninstall of Chrome makes other problems appear, then it should NOT be bundled with anything.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.