3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a tip for the uninformed, for what it's worth. Recently I and a far away friend have been using CROSS LOOP for a remote hookup.
    It works VERY, VERY well. We use Skype to initiate the link and transfer the required code numbers.
    If you decide to install it and use it, when you get to the "Set Up An Account" window just click on "SKIP" and go on from there. It works fine without bothering with an account.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using CrossLoop since the very beginning, too, and it's an excellent tool!

It beats Windows built-in Remote Assistance by a "country mile", in ease of use, and security & reliability, and it's free! http://www.crossloop.com

TIP: Using Skype, PC to PC, in conjunction with CrossLoop, can slow the remote PC down to a crawl, and yours too, unless the PCs have lots of RAM (1 - 3 GB, depending on Windows version).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add another voice here, there have been a number of threads in The Lounge about this topic over time. I don't remember what there was about CrossLoop that I didn't like when I tried it once - it's been quite some time ago.

I eventually settled on the free TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software after first trying RealVNC and UltraVNC.