Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I came across this issue this morning. A user had about 300+ 2 page letter mailmerge and the letter had to be printed on letterhead with the second page printed on a blank sheet. We just ended up setting odd and even and printing all the odd pages to letterhead and than the even pages to blank paper. However, that ment manually sorting them together. With a mailmerge, every page is a section so she didn't want to manually change the page setup for about 300+ sections to be tray 3 or tray 2. Is their a macro that can mark all odd sections to print to a specific tray and than another one to make the even sections print to another tray. That way they will print in sequence and we won't need to manually put them together.

Thanks in advance for any assistance... I'm just curious and will like to know if their is a better way of doing this for future reference.

~Cris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You write "With a mailmerge, every page is a section", but when you merge a 2 page letter, every 2 pages will be a section. So you could specify different trays for the first page of a section and for subsequent pages and apply this to the whole document in one fell swoop (in the Paper tab of the Page Setup dialog).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You write "With a mailmerge, every page is a section", but when you merge a 2 page letter, every 2 pages will be a section. So you could specify different trays for the first page of a section and for subsequent pages and apply this to the whole document in one fell swoop (in the Paper tab of the Page Setup dialog).
    That is what I thought too but that is not how this merge came out. Each page is an actual section and that is why I couldn't just simply use a different first page. I will need to double-check tomorrow but she chose Edit Individual Letters|All and that is were we printed from since she had to make some minor edits on some of the letters.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently there is a section break within the letter. You could adapt this macro:

Code:
    Sub SetTrays()
      Dim sec As Section
      For Each sec In ActiveDocument.Sections
        If sec.Index Mod 2 = 1 Then
          ' Odd section
          sec.PageSetup.FirstPageTray = wdPrinterLowerBin
        Else
          ' Even section
          sec.PageSetup.FirstPageTray = wdPrinterDefaultBin
        End If
      Next sec
    End Sub
    You will have to find the correct values to use for FirstPageTray for the odd and even sections - some printers don't use the tray numbers built into Word such as wdPrinterDefaultBin, but custom numbers. The easiest way to find the actual number used for a tray is to set the tray while recording a macro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You might also do a search and replace on the completed merged doc to remove every section break in the middle of a record. For instance if your second section starts with the same word each time you could replace "^bWord" with "Word".

Once you have reduced the sections to each merge record then you could use Hans' initial suggestion for the paper tray management.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    That was it... I'm so use to having my Show/Hide on that when I go to a users desk I don't realize that I am missing key info like that.