Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Dell Dimension 5000 running XP came from my son-in-law a couple of years back. He added a second CD player (which is actually a LG DVD player), but it would seem never tested it with a DVD. Neither have until recently !! And it doesn't work.

A CD works fine calling up MS Media Player; and a DVD does the same but it loads the DVD index but goes no further. The DVD runs fine on my wife's laptop and a check using other DVD's shows the same failure

Options tried without any progress - reloaded MS Media Player 11
    - changed DVD player for known good one
    - tried options given on MS KB; their file for checking codecs DECCHECK.EXE does indicate that the codec is not present.
    - Auto download of codecs checked in Player and Internet Explorer made active for such a download.

What does work is downloading a free DVD reader 'playDVD'; so it's all there but Player doesn't do the job. Any ideas please.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Graham View Post
    The Dell Dimension 5000 running XP came from my son-in-law a couple of years back. He added a second CD player (which is actually a LG DVD player), but it would seem never tested it with a DVD. Neither have until recently !! And it doesn't work.

A CD works fine calling up MS Media Player; and a DVD does the same but it loads the DVD index but goes no further. The DVD runs fine on my wife's laptop and a check using other DVD's shows the same failure

Options tried without any progress - reloaded MS Media Player 11
    - changed DVD player for known good one
    - tried options given on MS KB; their file for checking codecs DECCHECK.EXE does indicate that the codec is not present.
    - Auto download of codecs checked in Player and Internet Explorer made active for such a download.

What does work is downloading a free DVD reader 'playDVD'; so it's all there but Player doesn't do the job. Any ideas please.
    Microsoft never provided a DVD codec for XP. XP requires third party software to play DVDs.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Microsoft never provided a DVD codec for XP. XP requires third party software to play DVDs.
    ... such as the very effective VLC, whose v1.0.3 has very recently been released.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    They did so, and an MP3 ripper with a choice of bitrate settings, trouble is they removed them both when XP went RTM

Back on topic ^^: Autoruns by Sysinternals will list the codecs installed in your system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    ... such as the very effective VLC, whose v1.0.3 has very recently been released.
    I second the recommendation of VLC.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advise guys.. I've download VLC and it does the job.

However that doesn't really answer the question from a technical point of view as to why Media Player isn't functioning for DVD's - all we've done is to sidestep the fault. I agree that's acceptable but from an engineering POV, it's not !

And how does one decode all the data that the Autoruns program spews out - that looks dangerously like a geek app. to me.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Graham View Post
    However that doesn't really answer the question from a technical point of view as to why Media Player isn't functioning for DVD's - all we've done is to sidestep the fault.

And how does one decode all the data that the Autoruns program spews out - that looks dangerously like a geek app. to me.
    Autoruns should be used with great care. There is so much information that it can be overwhelming. You need to know Windows terminology and technology to really take advantage of all that is there. Something such as InstalledCodec - Disable/enable codec drivers and DirectShow filters installed on your system might be more appropriate.

As fas as the DVD codec goes, there is no technical reason. IIRC, Microsoft did not want to pay the royalty for each copy of XP being charged at the time.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use the media player if you like.
    Download the N Lite codec pack and be sure to select Mpeg2.
    I watch DVDs all of the time in media player as it is the only one that I have.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorted !!!

I followed Pat's suggestion about N Lite codec pack; I suspect this might have been a typo as I found a K Lite Codec pack which has enabled Windows Media Player.

Just out of interest there was several votes in favour of VLC - apart from being a 'not' MS product what are it's advantages over Media Player for the normal user?

Thanks all for your help

Rob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find WMP to be clunky at best, especially when it comes to managing a music/audio collection. I'm also a "best of breed" kind of person, that is I prefer dedicated device to the "all in one, master of none" concept. VLC for DVD, Media Monkey for audio.
    Chuck

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep that was a typo.
    Sorry about that.
    Different media players do different things and VLC is a good one.
    I dont watch many DVDs on the computer, mainly just to test them after burning.
    I prefer the bigger screen in the other room.

I just always include that codec pack when I put a XP system together so people have something that works.
    Some people are particular in wanting just the basic system stuff.

Something else that I have been putting on a lot of systems lately is this browser.
    Its very fast and has Many Features while using little memory.
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
    It is MUCH faster than IE and FF.