4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We are having a problem receiving email from a Canadian address.

We have a spam firewall that blocks based on the sending mail server's IP address. (Deep Six DS200 boxes) I looked up the IP addresses for all the sender's mail servers and did a search of the spam firewall logs. I do see where an email was accepted on the date in question. No messages from those mail server addresses were blocked. Just the same, if the sender had been blocked at this point they would have received an NDR and they say that didn't happen.

Next step is the spam filtering software on a gateway computer. (GFI Mail Essentials) We keep logs on all the various filtering methods. I checked email log and didn't find the sender's email address anywhere. I double checked the spam filter's blacklist to be sure and, nope, not on it. These spam filters do not send NDR.

Next step is the Exchange 2003 mail server and then the user's Outlook mailbox. I checked and confirmed we don't have any domains filtered by the Exchange in the Message Delivery area. The email contained an attachment. If it was too large for our Exchange server to accept they would have received an NDR but again they say there was none.

So all indications say the message was received and should have reached the user's inbox but they say no message arrived. I've searched all their mail item folders including deleted and junk and don't find it. The user's deleted items have not been emptied in quite some time so there's no indication it was deleted and dumped.

This one has me puzzled. Is there anywhere else I can look? Any guesses?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    We are having a problem receiving email from a Canadian address.
    So all indications say the message was received and should have reached the user's inbox but they say no message arrived. I've searched all their mail item folders including deleted and junk and don't find it. The user's deleted items have not been emptied in quite some time so there's no indication it was deleted and dumped.

This one has me puzzled. Is there anywhere else I can look? Any guesses?
    Does the Exchange server or user have any rules that would automatically permanently delete e-mail?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Does the Exchange server or user have any rules that would automatically permanently delete e-mail?

Joe
    No rules on either. We manage all spam at the firewall and gateway filters.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use the Exchange Message Tracking tool to look for the inbound email. If it's not found it didn't make it to Exchange.

Remember that email is not a guaranteed delivery system. The message handshake only operates between direct connections, so any relay is a point of failure and there is no NDR.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Use the Exchange Message Tracking tool to look for the inbound email. If it's not found it didn't make it to Exchange.
    Excellent. I'd forgotten to do that. Didn't find one there so apparently didn't reach the mail server. Oh, well. I've asked the user to have the client resend the message one more time.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ask them to send a small test message?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Ask them to send a small test message?
    We keep an offsite email address for those times when there's a problem receiving a message. The assistant asked the client to send the email there and any NDR the client may have received. This morning the client's email arrived and now I see the problem. The attachment *was* too big after all for our mail server to accept. The client said he did get an error email but didn't know what it was for and just deleted it. Sigh. Even better the attachment is a single page with client's signature on it for a pleading we need to file. It was over 8MB, dimensions over 18" x 25", and in a version of Adobe older than 4. They'll just have to send their attachments there if they need to send any others to us. Hope not.

Thank you for helping me sound this out.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    8MB for a small graphic!!!!

cheers, Paul