Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Mozilla have released the long awaited next version of Thunderbird.
    Thunderbird 3 introduces tabbed email, which is a similar concept to tabbed browsing that you see in many browsers.

For more details about Thunderbird 3 see Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Release Notes

Localized versions are available from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...rbird/all.html

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony. Got it!

Thanks
    Thanks. Downloaded and installed. The new look and features will take some getting used to!
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Installing it now

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony. Downloading now ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using Thunderbird for quite some time now.....I love the new mail notification feature.....It behaves similar to outlook in that regard. Cheers

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am exploring, learning about the new features and, I'm afraid, also struggling with the "loss" of at least one feature. I use the number of messages in folders in the left pane to manage and housekeep my message folders (see attachment). It's MISSING in version 3. I found this page with an answer, albeit requiring a little monkeying with an addon to make it work with version 3 (see second attachment).

You have to edit the .xpi file (an .rdf file therein), save it IN THE XPI file and THEN install it with Thunderbird. As you can see from the first attachment, I got it to work. If anyone needs assistance, post here and we'll walk through it together.

[attachment=87074:2009-12-10_161637.png]

[attachment=87075:2009-12-10_162415.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    You have to edit the .xpi file (an .rdf file therein), save it IN THE XPI file and THEN install it with Thunderbird. As you can see from the first attachment, I got it to work. If anyone needs assistance, post here and we'll walk through it together.
    It is better to change the em:maxversion to 3.0.*
    If you change it to 3.0, when 3.0.1 is released the extension will no longer be listed as compatible. Using 3.0.* will ensure that it is listed as compatible for future security/stability releases for Thunderbird 3.0

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony! As I'm a "hacker" in such matters, I didn't know I could do that and I don't know if it's too late or not. Can I re-install the addon if I go back and make that change?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Can I re-install the addon if I go back and make that change?
    You can make the change and re-install the add-on, it will replace the currently installed version.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony! I'll git-r-done...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question about Thunderbird.I do use it but I have a huge collection of email stationary I made and others made as well.With my OE they are saved as eml.I can not see where I can use all my stats with Thunderbird since it doesnt support eml stats.
    Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    I have a question about Thunderbird.I do use it but I have a huge collection of email stationary I made and others made as well.With my OE they are saved as eml.I can not see where I can use all my stats with Thunderbird since it doesnt support eml stats.
    Any suggestions?
    There is an addon for Thunderbird Stationary here but it is NOT (yet?) compatible with Thunderbird 3.0

PS I've never tried it so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I just discovered that the "trick" I used in the earlier post to modify an .RDF file within the .XPI file also worked in another of my favorite TB addons. I have been using one called Slideshow :: Add-ons for Thunderbird and TB 3 said it's not compatible. I had been using version 1.1 and at that URL you can see that the current (allegedly incompatible) version is 1.2

I downloaded it and modified the RDF file to make the max version say 3.0.* and lo and behold the Slideshow addon DOES still open attached images in emails.

I don't know how "risky" this monkey business is that I've done, but I can always drop back later if I need to.

Thanks
    I'm a long time Thunderbird user (and fan!) but I am very disappointed with version 3. While there are some nice new features, improvements and added functionality in this release that will benefit many users, I never expected to take advantage of all of them. Tabbed messaging? Yawn. Improved search? Ho hum.

There are at least two changes, however, that defy belief.

Like Big Al, I cannot understand why the total message count for each folder is not displayed in the folder pane. This is something that really should be baked into the basic release. Displaying the total message count for the current folder on the status line is not enough. Yes, there is an "add on" to correct this defect, but I doubt that most users will be aware of it. Of those that are, I don't think many of them will have the skill or the fortitude to delve into the innards of Thunderbird to implement the changes (modify an .RDF file within the .XPI file???).

The other bone-headed move was to eliminate the compact header option for messages. Now, a whole vertical inch of screen real estate is wasted to tell me that the message I am staring at was sent 'to you'. Well, duh! I already know that. All this addressing information is already displayed on the screen. With all the resulting white space, I guess they thought it was a great idea to fill the rest of the space with message disposition buttons.

[attachment=87114:Capture.PNG]
    What were they thinking?

/rant off

There... I feel better already!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast