Thread: Table Priority

Thanks
    [attachment=87056:TableStyleDialog.png]
    What is Priority? What does it do and where do you control it from?

I don't believe this was present in 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not a property of a table, but of a style. And yes, it's new in Word 2007. Here is the definition from the Word 2007 VBA reference:

Priority | Returns or sets a Long that represents the priority for sorting styles in the Styles task pane. Read/write.
    So there - that's crystal clear, isn't it?

Thanks
    And it looks like this is where priority is set.
    [attachment=87058:ManageStyles.png]

Oddly enough, priority values only seem to be displayed in the modify styles dialog box, when the style being modified is a table style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you choose the "recommended" sort in the styles pane options, the styles will be listed in numerical order according to the priority values; those styles given the same value will be listed alphabetically. I never use the recommended sort for the styles pane. MS never explained it, I prefer alphabetical lists, and besides I couldn't figure out who was doing the recommending! Recently, I learned more about them and that the quick styles are also listed in recommend order. So I have begun to use priority values.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just tagging on to Pam's comment: Setting the priority value for styles is a really useful tool in controlling the order in which styles appear, in both the Quick Styles area as well as in the Styles pane, and one of the new features I like best about Word 2007. But it does appear that the ability to modify the priority number assigned to the different built-in table styles, has been disabled.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Just tagging on to Pam's comment: Setting the priority value for styles is a really useful tool in controlling the order in which styles appear, in both the Quick Styles area as well as in the Styles pane, and one of the new features I like best about Word 2007. But it does appear that the ability to modify the priority number assigned to the different built-in table styles, has been disabled.

Gary
    Right. The abiity only apples to styles that can appear in the styles pane: just the paragraph, linked, and character styles. (You can] see the list and table styles in manage styles.)

Pam
    Pam Caswell