New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 9200 with a fully patched and updated SP3 version of XP pro installed. Occassionally (perhaps a couple of times a week) it freezes up and requires a cold reboot to get it going again.
    When these freeze-ups occur the mouse pointer contines to work and I can use alt-tab to go through the open programs although none of them will display. Ctrl-Alt-Delete also dosent work, and there is no record in event viewer to suggest what the problem might be.
    I pride myself in being (usually) able to de-bug PC problems although this one has me stumped. (I might add that mysteriously this freeze up problem used to occur several times a day, but now has kindly gone to a few times a week!)
    Also there seems to be no consistancy as to what programs are running when the problem occurs, although it is safe to say Firefox and Outlook will always be open.
    Any suggestions out there?

Thanks
    Have you done a recent full chkdsk?

Run msconfig - anything starting up that doesn't need to?

Does clearing your Firefox cache help?
    Any untoward rules running in Outlook?

I've had similar problems in the past which I could never pinpoint. I suspect the NIC may have been playing up - indicated by a popup by the Taskbar network icon ( [attachment=87065:x.gif] ) saying it was disconnected, followed quickly by a re-connection popup....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.9 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to Leif's reply, you can also rule out a Firefox add-on as the cause. To do this you can run Firefox in Firefox safe mode, and in the dialog that appears select "Continue in Safe Mode". Running Firefox in safe mode will disable all extensions and use the default theme. If there are no further freezes it indicates a possible problem with an add-on. In which case see troubleshooting extensions and themes.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Since there is no particular trigger to the events.
    You could also give this a try.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    This will test your memory to be sure that you have no issues there.