New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found some programs would not install or work on Windows 7. On the Window 7 site I read of a VM program free for the download to install to run latency programs on Windows 7. Do the download, install and all should be well for loading you older programs and operating in the XP Mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ralph,
    I have been searching the Windows 7 site and I can find no reference to th VM program
    you refered to. Could you advise please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Darton View Post
    I have been searching the Windows 7 site and I can find no reference to th VM program you refered to. Could you advise please?
    Not Ralph - but try the Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Darton View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    I have been searching the Windows 7 site and I can find no reference to th VM program
    you refered to. Could you advise please?
    Be aware that if you are interested in XP mode with Windows Virtual PC your PC MUST support hardware virtualization. See How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com for more details.

Note: there are other virtualization solutions that do not, as of now, require hardware virtualization.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Be aware that if you are interested in XP mode with Windows Virtual PC your PC MUST support hardware virtualization. See How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott's Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com for more details.

Note: there are other virtualization solutions that do not, as of now, require hardware virtualization.
    ... and correct me if I'm wrong here Joe, this setup of Virtual PC & XP Mode can only be run on the Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows 7; not Basic nor Home Premium.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    ... and correct me if I'm wrong here Joe, this setup of Virtual PC & XP Mode can only be run on the Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows 7; not Basic nor Home Premium.
    That is correct. XP mode is for Win7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise only. IIRC, older versions of Virtual PC don't run on Win7.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to run WinXP as a virtual OS under Win7, your system MUST meet certain requirements. To start off, Microsoft has a nice little tool that will test your current hardware to see if it supports virtualization at all. Try doing a google on Hardware Assisted Virtualization. This will give you a very quick go/nogo answer, and point you to some excellent material on the MS site. Your motherboard must be capable of supporting a processor that can handle virtualization. So the first step is to go to the technical support area of the manufacturer of your motherboard, and find out which CPU's are supported on your motherboard. At the same time you will need to verify that the BIOS has been brought up to the latest version. If your motherboard can support VM, but your current processor doesn't, then you'll need to replace the processor with one that does. Again, there are lists of CPU's that do, just be careful that you get EXACTLY the right processor. Sometimes there may be several versions of the CPU and they do not all support VM. Motherboard OK? BIOS OK? CPU OK? then download and install the required MS program, which you would have found when you looked at their site! Have fun, and don't forget to shutdown WinXP when leaving.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using the Sun VirtualBox program to run XP in a virtual machine with Windows 7. VirtualBox is free and does not require your host system have hardware virtualization capability. The only drawback is that you must have a licensed copy of XP to install in the virtual machine. You cannot use the free XP provided with the download for Windows 7 XP Mode.