Thanks
    Several groups of employees are using Visio to create work flow diagrams and then using these diagrams to store the dates when a task or tasks are complete.

They have asked me if there is a way to use these dates to generate reports or metrics that track the number of days that have expired between tasks.

I am not a visio expert so am wondering if anyone knows if Visio has the capability to store data and then create metrics on the data or would the data need to be extracted to a different application such as access or excel to generate metrics. I would prefer access.

If Visio does have this capability, how is the data stored? In tables or text fields linked to the cell? Any insight on this would be appreciated. In the meantime, I will start researching this. Thanks.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swanson View Post
    Several groups of employees are using Visio to create work flow diagrams and then using these diagrams to store the dates when a task or tasks are complete.

They have asked me if there is a way to use these dates to generate reports or metrics that track the number of days that have expired between tasks.

I am not a visio expert so am wondering if anyone knows if Visio has the capability to store data and then create metrics on the data or would the data need to be extracted to a different application such as access or excel to generate metrics. I would prefer access.

If Visio does have this capability, how is the data stored? In tables or text fields linked to the cell? Any insight on this would be appreciated. In the meantime, I will start researching this. Thanks.

I am going to answer my own question after doing some research. According to microsoft, Automation and VB can be used to get the data from Visio to another application such as a database to store and query the data. In visio, using VB, the objects can be looped through and the data for each object such as name and data can be stored as an array each time the visio form closes. Another system such as access can then use VB Automation to connect to Visio and extract the data. It is a little more complicated then this but this is the general idea. The following link helped a bit. Visio Automation Link
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)