New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Hi!
    I've no idea whether this is a Vista issue, an Intel isssue or a Toshiba issue, or what search criteria to use to see if anyone else has the problem so I'll start here.

My setup:
    Toshiba laptop, Tecra A9 sitting on a Toshiba Docking station;
    BenQ 21" external monitor plugged in to docking station, laptop on the left-hand side, monitor on the right. Using Monitor as the main display device and the laptop screen as secondary.
    Toshiba laptop has an Intel graphics card Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset.
    I have made a Graphics Scheme in the Intel graphics utility, igfxcfg module, where I have selected "Extended Desktop" with the Primary Device as Monitor, on the right hand side and Secondary Device as Notebook on the left side.
    I"m running Vista 32 bit Ultimate.
    Whenever I have the laptop on the docking station I have to right click the desktop > Select Scheme > Laptop on left (the name of my saved scheme). and it all sets up correctly for me.
    So far my setup.

My Problem(s):
    1. I like to have Thunderbird and a couple of other items open and sitting on the secondary monitor to the left of me while I"m working on the primary monitor. So far so good:
      However after the screen saver has activated and I come back to the laptop to work Thunderbird, and anything else which had been displaying on the secondary monitor has moved to the primary monitor and the secondary monitor is simply showing the desktop wallpaper. I have to drag the things back on to the laptop monitor (secondary) to set them up again the way I want them.
    2. Also, after I put the machine into sleep then return I have worse behavior. In this case my Graphics Scheme has reverted to the default extended monitor scheme where the laptop screen becomes the primary monitor and the external monitor becomes the secondary monitor. But wait there's more - in this default extended monitor setup the expectation is tha the extended monitor will be on the left of the laptop but mine's on the right side so to get the left monitor I have to move my mouse off the right side of the screen. Basically I have to re-apply my custom graphics scheme every time after returning the machine from the sleep state.
    3. There is another issue that when I leave the machine running overnight but switch off the external monitor and close the lid of the laptop, on my return in the morning both screens are black and no amount of anything I do will bring them back to life. I have set the power options up so that closing the lid should "do nothing". In this diseased state it seems the machine is still alive but just not giving me visual output, the hard drive light flashes from time to time and on occasion I have remembered the keystroke sequence to do an orderly shutdown and it obeys - on the times I cant remember then I hold the power button down for 10 seconds to do a nasty power-off. I have tried Fn F5 several times in case video is being sent to the wrong port but no amount of Fn F5ing gets any video output from this state - the only solution is to reboot the machine.
      However, when I leave the machine overnight without the lid closed, all is normal in the morning - well except for the items which had been on the laptop monitor having migrated to the right monitor... This even though I have set the "close the lid" power option to "do nothing". Of course when I phoned Toshiba Support on this they told me that it must be a Microsoft issue...

My Question:
    Is this normal? I would like it if, once I set my scheme it would stick till either I told it to change or I undocked the machine. Also does this issue of having a black screen after sleep indicate a hardware issue? I am IT proficient but I don't know where to start troubleshooting this problem - can anyone give me a tip?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may have the shutting of the lid to do nothing, but the timer still will put it to sleep or hibernation.
    If you are using power, I would make the settings when plugged in to Never to shut down on anything, and then set the screen saver to be a blank screen. Make sure that the screen saver does not open the Welcome screen on restore.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave thanks for your quick response.
    Yes, I forgot to mention, I do already have both those options set:
    Never shut down/hibernate/sleep on anything and
    do not open Welcome screen on restore.
    I'll disable my current screen saver and set it to give a blank screen instead - if I remember rightly that's how I used to have it set and it still had the problem.

And just now, on coming back to it after my lunch break, and unlocking it (I always lock it when I leave my desk), all was normal, the two monitors set as I had left them. So in some cases it stays the same and in come cases it changes. This isn't a change in behavior, just a me noticing in a bit more detail what is happening now that I've actually got around to asking for some assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Rolfe View Post
    And just now, on coming back to it after my lunch break, and unlocking it (I always lock it when I leave my desk), all was normal, the two monitors set as I had left them. So in some cases it stays the same and in come cases it changes. This isn't a change in behavior, just a me noticing in a bit more detail what is happening now that I've actually got around to asking for some assistance.
    Is Vista up-to-date with service packs and monthly patches?

See if Troubleshoot multiple monitor problems or MultiMonitor Support and Windows Vista and links on the respective pages help.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe thanks for your response. Those two links are helpful to set up an installation initially and to troubleshoot basic configuration problems where something is consistently wrong in the layout. My situation is that everything is set up fine but then some unknown trigger causes things to change.
    The second link is slightly technical in nature, I'm not sure if my card has the WDDM driver but I would assume so as the driver is listed as for Vista on the Toshiba website. This got me to check that I have the latest driver (again - I went down this track about a 6 months ago). According to the Toshiba support pages for my laptop I seem to have the latest driver which is dated 30 March 2007. This seems pretty old so I visted the Intel website and I note that there seems to be a later driver however when I run the Intel driver check utility from their website it informs me that I have a customized driver installed and so they can't determine the correct driver for me and I am directed to contact my laptop vendor for the latest driver - so it would seem that my 2007 would apparently be the latest.

My Vista is fully up to date with monthly patches
    however I haven't installed SP2 yet due to concerns expressed by Windows Secrets Newsletter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe thanks for your response. Those two links are helpful to set up an installation initially and to troubleshoot basic configuration problems where something is consistently wrong in the layout. My situation is that everything is set up fine but then some unknown trigger causes things to change.
    The second link is slightly technical in nature, I'm not sure if my card has the WDDM driver but I would assume so as the driver is listed as for Vista on the Toshiba website. This got me to check that I have the latest driver (again - I went down this track about a 6 months ago). According to the Toshiba support pages for my laptop I seem to have the latest driver which is dated 30 March 2007. This seems pretty old so I visted the Intel website and I note that there seems to be a later driver however when I run the Intel driver check utility from their website it informs me that I have a customized driver installed and so they can't determine the correct driver for me and I am directed to contact my laptop vendor for the latest driver - so it would seem that my 2007 would apparently be the latest.

My Vista is fully up to date with monthly patches
    however I haven't installed SP2 yet due to concerns expressed by Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    Changing drivers on a notebook can be tricky. Often OEMs such as Toshiba customize the hardware and driver so that it is better to do what they "say" in regards to drivers. However, I do recommend you install SP-2. It has been out long enough that the initial installation issues have been solved. As usual, with a service pack you should ALWAYS backup your system before starting the install. I've always had better luck downloading the complete service pack rather than depending on Windows Update to figure out what I need. See Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) for the 32-bit version and Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465) for the 64-bit version.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe thanks for your reply again. I See in the November issue of WS Susan Bradley is advising to install SP2 too, I guess I'll go ahead with it. I'll start imaging my drive today and perhaps do the install tomorrow.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've installed SP2 so we'll see how it behaves now...

Administrator
    Thanks
    OK, I've installed SP2 so we'll see how it behaves now...
    Don't forget to get up to speed with all the patches too.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, thanks for the reminder Joe. I applied the patches yesterday but hadn't got round to doing a restart.
    Initially results look encouraging. Yesterday on returning from a blank screensaver I never lost screen orientation once - the only thing that happened was that any windows which had been on the extended monitor (laptop) had migrated across to the primary (external monitor) but I was able to just drag them back over in the correct direction, I didn't have to re-apply my graphic scheme to get the correct geographical settings as they did seem to stick now.
    Then this morning on opening the laptop lid and having had the machine running all night I was pleased to see that, eventually, both screens came to life and as a bonus the correct graphic scheme was still applied.
    I'm going for a restart now so today will be another test. I'll post back here.