New Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize it's rude to introduce oneself with a hand stuck out palm up, but...

I'm obviously new to the site, found my way here via my Windows Secrets subscription. I'm also a veteran programmer, dating back to Pascal, dBase/Clipper, Cobol, C++, etc... although I haven't done much beyond batch files and spreadsheets in the past few years. I was recently asked to help set up a database to track equipment issues, and find myself staring at the shiny spinning mirror that is "Access 2003" and wondering how to catch up. Any advice on a good place to start?

Here are the basics of what I'm trying to do:

Table of people (id# as key)
    Table of equipment (stock# as key)

A third table has been created from the first two to track the items issued to each individual; I've gotten past setting up the relationships among the three, but getting the forms to work properly together is wearing me out. The ultimate goal is to provide a drop in solution to folks who probably aren't willing or able to do more than enter data into a form. Subforms seem to be the right way to go, but the underlying data obviously needs manual editing, and I can't seem to find a good stepping off point to learn these basics.

So... any good tutorials out there? Thanks!

--- Addendum ---
    Still browsing the forums for information, just ordered a copy of "Building Microsoft® Access Applications". Other suggestions still invited and welcomed!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Murray View Post
    Subforms seem to be the right way to go, but the underlying data obviously needs manual editing, and I can't seem to find a good stepping off point to learn these basics.
    Happy to see you here!

So, I'm thinking from your description you want to design a form similar to this:[attachment=87078:Form.png]
    Fortunately this is easy - Walk through the Form wizard, select your People fields and Transaction information for each person. It should automatically pick up that you want a form with a subform. I used a datasheet layout (which is what I prefer for this style of form).

The beauty of the form wizard is that you can use as a launching point to give you some examples to look at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    Happy to see you here!
    Thanks!

Fortunately this is easy - Walk through the Form wizard, select your People fields and Transaction information for each person. It should automatically pick up that you want a form with a subform. I used a datasheet layout (which is what I prefer for this style of form).
    If you only knew how many times I had gone through the wizard wondering why it wouldn't generate a subform... I was starting with the common table instead of the people table. Is there a [/slap head] emoticon here? heh.

Thank you very much, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, but for now I am at least making progress instead of just generating/deleting/washrinserepeat forms.