New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I need to know if there is an easy way to downgrade vista ultimate to home premium: I purchased a licensed copy of home premium for someone who has so far been using a non-genuine version and intended to simply enter in the license but then I realized that their PC is currently running Vista Ultimate (rather than Home Premium as I thought).

If I simply...
    (1) Backup the PC using complete files backup,
    (2) Install the new Home Premium OS,
    (3) Use the advanced restore to 'backup files from another computer',
    is this the way to go and will everything be fine? I'm a bit hesitant...and grateful for any advice,
    Thanks,
    Tim

Lounger
    Thanks
    Though I have never tried to do that, my first thought would be is that it wouldnt work well.
    One of the things that the backup is going to want to save is the registry.
    When running the backup back to the system I would think that it maycreate some registry errors due to sevel different registry entries not being there.

Im not certain if a reapir install would go far enough or even be allowed since the Ultimate is considered a "Higher" version,
    You see this when SPs are on the system and a reload is wanted. The SPs must be reversed or a full install is usually required.

Im not familier with any of them but I see that there are some programs called App. movers that claim to be able to gather everything from an applicatiion
    eg. Nero and tranfer it to a new system. But again I havent used any of them.

Does he have many programs that he is concerned with and does he possibly have the install disks for them?
    If he does then the important thing would be to get any data from them for safe keeping and start from scratch.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Martin Lewis View Post
    Hello, I need to know if there is an easy way to downgrade vista ultimate to home premium: I purchased a licensed copy of home premium for someone who has so far been using a non-genuine version and intended to simply enter in the license but then I realized that their PC is currently running Vista Ultimate (rather than Home Premium as I thought).

If I simply...
    (1) Backup the PC using complete files backup,
    (2) Install the new Home Premium OS,
    (3) Use the advanced restore to 'backup files from another computer',
    is this the way to go and will everything be fine? I'm a bit hesitant...and grateful for any advice,
    See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 Upgrade Scenarios: Scenario 1: Upgrade from a Higher-End Vista/XP Version to a Lower-End Windows 7 Version for details.

Joe
    Joe