Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2003, if you insert a cross-reference to a heading and then change the text at the end of that heading, Word loses the end on the text in the cross-reference. For example, if you have a heading "Introduction to ABC" and then change the heading to "Introduction to XYZ", when you update any cross-references to the heading text they will read "Introduction to ". To correct the problem, you have to re-insert the cross-reference. If the changed text is in the middle of the heading, Word manages to update the cross-reference correctly.

Does anyone know of any way around this problem that doesn't involve changing the wording of the relevant headings?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a copy of Word 2003 to test this on at the moment, but it certainly doesn't sound right. I am sure I have done this in the past with no problems.

As a workaround could you add ABC before the XYX, and then delete the XYZ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I can confirm that it happens in Word 2002 (aka XP) too. The workaround suggested by StuartR prevents the problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I can confirm that it happens in Word 2002 (aka XP) too. The workaround suggested by StuartR prevents the problem.
    I have just tested this on my copy of Word 2007 SP1 and it has the same problem - I wonder why I have never noticed this in the past.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    And I tried it in Word 2003 and found the same problem.

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies folks. Unfortunately the suggested solution isn't very practical because I'm trying to use a document property to make substitution of the product name easier. As our product can be embedded in the products of our partner companies, those partner companies might want to change the product name when they rebrand our documentation. So if I set the product name up as a document property, it disappears from the cross-references when I change the document property and update the references. :-(

It's useful to know that changing to Word 2007 wouldn't solve the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your second post seems to be a separate issue from that in your first post in this thread. I don't think that the location of the bookmarks (which are important to cross-references) will move if you are changing the contents of a document property.

As an explanation of how bookmarks and cross-references to them work, have a look at my post in this thread

When you say you change the document property, are you changing the name of a custom document property or are you changing a value of a document property. If you change the name of the property then I would expect that a cross-ref to the old name won't work any more. If you are only changing a value then the field update should show the change.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

It's the same issue. I've set up a custom document property called "Product", which contains the product name, e.g. "ABC". Within the document I have various headings such as "Introduction to ABC". If I change the value of the "Product" property to "XYZ", any cross-references to headings that end in the product name lose the name from the cross-reference. So I get things like "see the Introduction to " instead of "see the Introduction to XYZ". Even if the product name does not come from a document property but is physically typed into the heading, as soon as I substitute one name for another in any heading that ends in the product name, the cross-references to those headings lose the product name altogether.

I'm not using any form of bookmark for these cross-references. I'm simply using Insert | Reference | Cross-reference and choosing "Heading" as the reference type.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try this in Word 2002, cross references to headings lose the last part if I edit the last part of the heading manually, but not if the last part of the heading is a DocProperty field being updated.

But perhaps you could add a space (or a period) after the DocProperty field in the heading, that should be enough to "protect" the field.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

I tried adding a space after the product name in the headings, but it didn't solve the problem. Whether the name is typed into the heading or comes from a document property, cross-references to that heading still lose the product name from the end of the reference when the name is changed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew's reply got me thinking and I might have found a solution.

If I make the entire heading a bookmark and then insert a cross-reference to the bookmark text rather than the heading text, the cross-reference seems to retain the entire text when I change the product name. I've only tried it with one heading so far, but it looks promising.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad that you probably have a solution now, but did you add the cross reference anew after adding a space to the heading?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point - no I didn't. When I tried it again with a fresh cross-reference, it retained the text if there was a space after the name in the referenced heading.

So now there are two potential solutions, both of which involve redoing the cross-references. That should stop me tearing my hair out in frustration.

Thanks everyone.