Thanks
    I've got this strange mouse and keyboard freeze-up that occurs from time to time, mostly when I'm on the internet.
    I can't seem to get my mind around it. I would have posted in the Hardware forum, except that this only occurs
    since I've been running Windows 7 (64-bit edition). It was fine in Widows XP SP3 when I was using that os a few month ago.
    My initial thoughts were of a problem driver. I will have to check into this more fully.

When the freeze occurs the only recourse I am left with is to do a full boot, by means of the front computer panel.

It's a G9 USB Logitech mouse plugged into a Logitech G15 keyboard, the Keyboard is USB as well.

I've tried unplugging the mouse from the keyboards USB and trying various case USB ports to no avail.
    I've tried unplugging the keyboard and trying various case USB ports to no avail.
    I've never used the original mouse and keyboard drivers b/c I have never needed them before. Never had the need for the
    extra functionality offered by them like gaming et al.
    The Hardware is not more than 1-2 years old.

Has anyone else had an issue with mouse and keyboard freeze-ups?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What makes you say that this is a "mouse and keyboard" hangup? When it happens how do you know that anything at all is working? What is displayed on the screen? Does the clock in the system tray continue to update?

When I had a similar sounding issue it turned out to be a memory fault, causing the CPU to lock up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would seem to me that you should first go to Logitech Support and see if there are any updated drivers for Windows 7. I had a similar USB problem with an HP Pocket drive losing its connection every now and then and only a reboot would bring it back on line and this was with Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I had 5 USB devices hooked up and one suggestion was to try the back ports instead of the ones on front of the computer. That didn't work for me. I even uninstalled all USB ports and rebooted (you might try this if you haven't already). What did seem to work was moving a printer cable to another USB port. So far it seems to be working without losing its connection. One more suggestion: if you have serveral USB devices hooked up and all else fails, you might try buying a powered USB port. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    The screen displays the last web page that was visited just prior to the freeze up. Come to think of it
    the USB speekers may be affected but there is no way to tell sure.

Memory is good as I tested with memtest a few days ago.
    CPU is good too. Had it put through it's paces when I installed a new fan and heatsink a week ago.
    Temps have been consistant with load.

I'll have to keep an eye out at the clock, I never thought of that before now-thanks.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    ...Memory is good as I tested with memtest a few days ago...
    My faulty memory passed memtest as well.

I discovereed it by removing half the memory and it still failed, I then swapped that for the other half and it started working perfectly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I've never used the original mouse and keyboard drivers b/c I have never needed them before. Never had the need for the
    extra functionality offered by them like gaming et al.
    The Hardware is not more than 1-2 years old.
    If you are using the drivers that were part of the Win7 install, I recommend you update the drivers with the latest from Logitech. You may not need the functionality but with a new OS there are likely fixes included.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    What makes you say that this is a "mouse and keyboard" hangup? When it happens how do you know that anything at all is working? What is displayed on the screen? Does the clock in the system tray continue to update?

When I had a similar sounding issue it turned out to be a memory fault, causing the CPU to lock up.
    Thanks, it is a memory issue that was causing these freeze-ups. Reset memory speed from1333 down to 800 in bios and
    no issue. A noticable drop in performance but I guess I can live with it until I can upgrade the memory.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am experiencing the same problem. I also use a Logitech MX Laser Cordless Mouse and Keyboard. I first noticed the problem when I was dual-booting Windows Vista
    along with Win 7 RC. When I booted into Win 7 and reached the user login screen, password protected, I could not even move the mouse cursor to a given user icon. This persisted for a few seconds before the mouse cursor would move. After a few seconds the mouse cursor would move. This happened every time, even after I put fresh batteries in the cordless mouse and keyboard. When Win 7 was released, I performed a clean install of Win 7 Professional (64-bit). Microsoft Upgrade advisor reported that I needed to download/install an updated driver from Logitech for 64-bit. Once Win 7 was installed, I successfully download and installed the new Logitech driver for my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Now I occasionally have a problem with the wireless keyboard. When I type something into a field or in word processing (or email), the keyboard hangs briefly and "stutters". In typing a word, no characters show up on the monitor for a brief time and then a couple of characters show up, but the remaining characters I had typed do not show up right away. Try to retype the remaining characters again, I get a jumble of originally typed characters and newly type characters. For example, I might type "computer", nothing shows up for a second or two and then "co" shows up. If I try to retype "mputer", "couter" may show up. Logitech Set Point says my battery is okay. I have replaced the batteries but the problem occurs again sometime later. I then discovered that there is a "simple" solution - press the Connect button on my keyboard. Everything seems fine but then sometime later (perhaps hours later) the problem reccurs.
    I should check with Logitech as it sounds like their problem. I need to do that, but I don't seem to get around to it and I keep using my "simple" fix.
    Don Plorde