New Lounger
    Thanks
    This has never happened to me before. I started Microsoft Update (I always run manually) and I got a 403 (or was it 503): Forbidden when the ActiveX was trying to check itself. The PC in question is scanned every day (deep scan once a week) by ZoneAlarm and CounterSpy -- nothing except for the odd cookie is ever found. I tried rebooting, to no avail, so I submitted a support request to Microsoft. It belatedly occurred to me that somebody here probably knows the cause of this. (It's entirely possible that I disallowed the ActiveX by accident while looking in another window -- one would imagine that after over 30 years of computing I would get that focus does NOT follow my eyes <g>)

Any suggestion about how to cure this would be appreciated. I'd rather not have to track down the individual updates and apply them.

The PC in question is a Dell 8600 laptop (kind of old), running Windows XP pro. Used for light web surfing, email and the odd Word document. It is unfortunately not here with me (I gave it to my aunt); I have been managing her PC remotely for years -- doing updates, defrag, virus scans, etc on a regular basis. I turned if off after submitting the request to Microsoft but can have her turn it back on in about an hour.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Owens View Post
    This has never happened to me before. I started Microsoft Update (I always run manually) and I got a 403 (or was it 503): Forbidden when the ActiveX was trying to check itself. The PC in question is scanned every day (deep scan once a week) by ZoneAlarm and CounterSpy -- nothing except for the odd cookie is ever found. I tried rebooting, to no avail, so I submitted a support request to Microsoft. It belatedly occurred to me that somebody here probably knows the cause of this. (It's entirely possible that I disallowed the ActiveX by accident while looking in another window -- one would imagine that after over 30 years of computing I would get that focus does NOT follow my eyes <g>)

Any suggestion about how to cure this would be appreciated. I'd rather not have to track down the individual updates and apply them.

The PC in question is a Dell 8600 laptop (kind of old), running Windows XP pro. Used for light web surfing, email and the odd Word document. It is unfortunately not here with me (I gave it to my aunt); I have been managing her PC remotely for years -- doing updates, defrag, virus scans, etc on a regular basis. I turned if off after submitting the request to Microsoft but can have her turn it back on in about an hour.

Thanks in advance.
    Try adding http://www.update.microsoft.com to your Trusted Sites in IE.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Owens View Post
    This has never happened to me before. I started Microsoft Update (I always run manually) and I got a 403 (or was it 503): Forbidden when the ActiveX was trying to check itself.
    A 403 error usually indicates a malformed URL. I'm not sure how this could be a problem on your end. Perhaps you could remove the ActiveX control so that it has to be downloaded again. I don't use IE so much any more, but in the Options, there is a button with a name similar to "objects" that I believe lets you remove individual ActiveX controls.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried both of these suggestions. I also deleted all temporary internet files, and finally was able to reset the browser to default (in the Advanced page tab). When I went to the microsoft update site again, it prompted me to install the ActiveX control, which I found encouraging, but finally gave me the 403: Forbidden again.

Any other suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is message when attempting to use Windows and/or Microsoft Updates "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."

This started last night, and it seems a lot of people are having the same issue. That makes it look like a problem at Microsoft, but no one seems to ahve done any reporting on it.
    It looks like any system that has updated in the last couple of days is now denied access to Windows Update. I have this going on at 2 different sites on dozens of pc's. Anyone else??

I tried a couple of the "fixes" until I realized it was not a one machine issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It only happened to me on this one PC. Installing http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe fixed it, updates are downloading now.

Thank you all SO much for your help!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have been trying to fix this all day using other MS suggestions including the first link - it did not work. I finally got it to work with the second link to the BadwareBusters suggestion!

Thank you all very much!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Kerber View Post
    I have been trying to fix this all day using other MS suggestions including the first link - it did not work. I finally got it to work with the second link to the BadwareBusters suggestion!

Thank you all very much!!!!

The info from BadwareBusters worked for me. Now I'd like to know what actually caused the problem??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW The issue "went away" over the weekend. I had dozens of machines unable to be updated, but by Saturday afternoon the 403 message went away. I fixed one machine, but since it was so widespread at work I waited on the others. Someone at home would not have that luxury, would not know it wasn't just them, and not seeing anything much on the net about the problem sure would send me down the "gotta fix it now" path. Even today I don't see anything posted on the "problem", other than here. I guess if it was called the Tiger Woods virus it might have made news..

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The issue was a bad DNS record at Microsoft.
    They fixed the issue. The install of the new automatic update client forced workstations to look at the new servers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,

Thanks for that info!!