New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two MP3 players - a MS Zune and a Creative Zen X-Fi. The latter is the newer. Both charge from a USB connection to the computer. I purchased an AC adapter for the Zune that has a standard USB female connector. Thus plugging the Zune into the AC adapter is exactly the same as plugging it into the computer to charge (although obviously there's no music functions with the AC adapter USB connection).

My question is whether there are any differences such that the Zune AC USB adapter could not be used with the Zen? I can't see any reason why not, given that they both charge from the same computer USB interface. I could immagine that the AC adapter could be damaged if the Zen took more current than the Zune, but I can't see any danger to the MP3 players by using any AC USB adapter.

Does anyone have any experience with this or technical knowledge that would either confirm my own analysis or refute it?

Thanks
    Ron

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I direct your attention to the USB Loads and Resources section.

http://www.girr.org/.../usb_stuff.html
    Mike

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brunton View Post
    My question is whether there are any differences such that the Zune AC USB adapter could not be used with the Zen? I can't see any reason why not, given that they both charge from the same computer USB interface. I could immagine that the AC adapter could be damaged if the Zen took more current than the Zune, but I can't see any danger to the MP3 players by using any AC USB adapter.
    It makes sense to be cautious about plugging power into any expensive device...the fact that they both charge from the PC is NOT determinative.

What I discovered with a Palm Treo 800w was that the handy third party AC brick that worked fine to charge an iPod via a USB cable didn't even register with the phone. Whether this was due to the way the pins were shorted in the brick, or the brick was not putting out enough volts, is something you can find debated on phone forums. But either way, um, I guess that doesn't answer your question.

I'm not sure that manufacturers advertise any standards for chargers. I would cheat and look at aftermarket chargers: if all the same chargers advertise that they work for both devices, that would be a good sign that yours is reasonably safe to try.