Thread: Befuddled

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

I'm not sure what's up, but lately my Vista32 Business OS2 doesn't realize it's own identity. I just came from a google bookmarks for ie8 page, and got an error at the top in yellow that says "We're sorry, but Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Google is only available for Windows XP and Vista.

Yesterday I was scouting around the Microsoft KB for a vista fix, and when I got to the page, it said this fix is for XP/Vista, and to click this link for Windows2000.

It all started about a month ago on facebook. I went on one day, and got an error at the top saying my version of IE was not supported, and that I needed to upgrade to IE7 or IE8. I already had IE7.

I use Avast antivirus
    I have run: Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    superantispyware
    When I right-click 'Computer' in the start menu, it says Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 2

Its a mystery to me how Microsoft doesn't even recognize my system for what it is.

Anyway, anybody know what's going on? It may be related to display problems I have on facebook with IE7/IE8 (but Firefox displays just fine.) I attached a screenshot of what FB does. They have no idea what's up either.

My thanks to anyone that can help me figure this out.

--Jim

Vista Business 32, SP2
    Lenovo T61
    Intel DuoCore T7300 2.0 ghz
    4 gb ram
    IE7 just upgraded to IE8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an update to my post above, while I was updating my profile, there is an error with a pink background saying the version of my brower does not support using the rich text editor. Now, I just updated/upgraded to IE8. The profile says I need at least IE6 for rich text editing. I don't get it.

--Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, another update. I was checking out yahoo to see if their toolbar has a bookmarks feature similar to the one I currently use with google toolbar. When I got to the yahoo page, the download button display a message that yahoo toolbar cannot be installed on this computer, learn more (link) ... and I got this message:

Yahoo! Toolbar can't be installed on this computer.
    Check that you have:
    •Windows 2000 or higher
    and one of the following:
    •Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
    •Firefox 2.0 or later

Again, I have Vista32 Business, IE8, and FF 3.0.15.

By the way, I don't get that error when I view the yahoo page in Firefox. So something is leading me to think that it's a Vista problem, since the problem exists in IE7 and IE8. I am wondering if I need to do a repair install, or hopefully something less drastic.

Thoughts?

--Jim

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like something has messed up the user agent string on your system. Didn't know you could do that with Internet Explorer.

When you go to a Web site, your Web browser tells the Web site what browser is going to be viewing the page. That allows sites to make sure their pages look good in all Web browsers or warn the user that their browser is too old for the technology the site uses, among other things.

Your Internet Explorer 8 is being described differently. Go to http://www.useragentstring.com/, allow any scripts to run, and see what Web browser IE is being described as.

Microsoft might have an answer for you here. Might be malware, might be an over-zealous security program, or might be a registry error.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help. I went to useragentstring.com. It is saying I have Windows 2000, and Internet Explorer 6.0.

I clicked the link to the microsoft string, and read through it. I opened up the registry to the first reference, and found nothing. The second one, on the other hand is where it had my Windows and IE 'tokens' listed incorrectly. I changed it back to vista and 8.0, and now my Facebook and other internet browsing is a breeze.

I am still curious as to how those values were changed to begin with.

But anyway, THANK-YOU so much, my system works the way it's supposed to once again!!!

--Jim

Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim:

I'm glad you got it fixed! Lord knows how it got messed up. Easy enough for a program to write to most any registry key, I suppose, but I should think Microsoft would have those locked to be modified by only Windows Update...