5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP laptop running XP Home Ed. with builtin Intel PRO 2200bg wireless networking.

When I leave my Netgear dg834g router completely open the laptop see's it as an unsecured wireless network and can connect, no problem. If I enable WEP, the laptop sees it as a secured network (though as yet I've figured out how to connect but that for now is a side issue).

My problem is that if I enable WPA or WPA2 then the laptop says there are is no network at all. As far as I can see from Google the Intel Pro 2200bg is suposed to support WPA & WPA2, so how come the netwrok disappears when I try to use either of these?

stuck

Thanks
    Hey stuck, which drivers are you using on the 2200bg? I find that the Intel ones are usually much newer and often have more features than the ones available from the OEM's, HP, Dell, etc.

Have you looked for updated firmware for the router?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have all the Windows XP service packs and patches installed. WPA wasn't supported with the original release.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From Device manager I can see the driver is provided by Intel, v9.0.4.17. The latest on the Intel web site seems to be 9.0.4.34 so I can't see a minor lag in the driver being the problem.

BUT! I do know that laptop is not fully patched, though what level it is at I'm not sure at this instant, probably only SP1. The lack of SP2 and/or other patches sounds like the problem.

It will be a while before I can get the laptop fully patched but I will report back eventaully whether or not patching fixes it.

Yes I know I have an ASDL router but I still don't have a broadband connection and it is too long a story to try and explain

Thanks,

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft

For wireless clients that are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, you must obtain and install the Windows WPA Client. For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP SP2.
    Support for WPA-2 requires a patch beyond SP2.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Spent an hour poking around last night and the problem has gone away. I wish I could give a clear explanation of what the actual fault was and some simple steps to the solution but I can't. What I can report is that the fix involved the following:
    First confirmed the OS was XP SP2 so I wasn't wasting my time them...
    a) on the laptop, with wireless turned off
    - clearing out every reference to any network I could find
    - rebooting several times
    - then turning on the wireless asking it to find and connect to the router, unsecured
    - disconnecting
    - clearing out every ref to any network
    - rebooting
    - asking it to connect to the network, WPA secured
    b) on the router, performing a 'hard' reset every time I rebooted the laptop

Eventually, the laptop found the network. Connecting was then trivial, I just gave it the WPA key and away it went.

What ever was at fault, it was definitely something to do with the HP laptop because throughout all of this messing around an Acer laptop running Vista would connect to the network every time.

stuck