Thanks
    Has anyone managed to get CON2PRT (connects PCs to Printers) to work from a logon script when running on a WS2008 (64-bit) domain for XP Pro (32-bit) clients? Doesn't seem to give anything (even error messages!).

Worked wonderfully well yesterday, when we had a WS2003 (32-bit) server...

Yes, I've Googled, and there's very little positive for CON2PRT. Haven't yet tried the "rundll32 printui.dll" method, of which someone might also have experience.

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It appears the CON2PRT won't work with Server 2008 - it originated with NT4.0 so it's not that surprising. Apparently printui.dll can be used, but the preferred method is to use a Group Policy - which I don't fully understand, but our clients are generally small enough that we don't use them. This Windows Server 2008 Group Policies... appears to be a starting point. Let us know how you fare, as other will undoubtedly encounter the issue.
    Wendell

Thanks
    I was hoping that since CON2PRT actually executes quite happily on a Windows Pro 32-bit PC, then this would not cause a problem when the logon script is on WS2008, but it does.

I also can't get the RUNDLL32 printui.dll... method to work.

I have a deep and abiding hatred of all Group Policies, which put a complete barrier between what you are trying to do and the results you may or may not achieve. I've just tried to recreate a Locked Down Terminal Services policy on WS2008 which I eventually got to work perfectly on WS2003 about a year ago. It doesn't work on WS2008, and I have absolutely no idea why, or where I should look for clues, or even whether it was executed and failed or just didn't execute at all. A lot of these New Features seem designed to make things as difficult and as frustrating as possible for the systems administrator. We only have a limited time to do things. <rest of long and annoyed rant deleted to forestall reader chuckles>
    BATcher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One of the challenges here is that most workstations are still 32 bit, and the server is presumably 64 bit. So doing what you are attempting involves installing 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS. Apparently it works from reading some threads on MS support, but it sounds like a recipe for trouble...
    Wendell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I was hoping that since CON2PRT actually executes quite happily on a Windows Pro 32-bit PC, then this would not cause a problem when the logon script is on WS2008, but it does.

I also can't get the RUNDLL32 printui.dll... method to work.

I have a deep and abiding hatred of all Group Policies, which put a complete barrier between what you are trying to do and the results you may or may not achieve. I've just tried to recreate a Locked Down Terminal Services policy on WS2008 which I eventually got to work perfectly on WS2003 about a year ago. It doesn't work on WS2008, and I have absolutely no idea why, or where I should look for clues, or even whether it was executed and failed or just didn't execute at all. A lot of these New Features seem designed to make things as difficult and as frustrating as possible for the systems administrator. We only have a limited time to do things. <rest of long and annoyed rant deleted to forestall reader chuckles>
    Is this 2008 R2? If not, what service pack? Have you been trudging through Technet looking for assistance?

Here's a few links at Technet:

Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 technical documentation, downloads, and additional resources

Windows Server Category - Windows server forums.

Windows Server Group Policy Home - even though you hate it.

Terminal Services - just because you mentioned it.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you run con2prt.exe executable from the 2008 server login share, or is the executable on the XP client? Try copying con2prt.exe to the XP client and run it from there in the login script.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    One of the challenges here is that most workstations are still 32 bit, and the server is presumably 64 bit. So doing what you are attempting involves installing 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS. Apparently it works from reading some threads on MS support, but it sounds like a recipe for trouble...
    You can't install 32-bit drivers for use on a 64-bit OS. You can install 32-bit drivers as "additional drivers" for other systems in your network. See http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...tup_64-bit.ppt for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Now that we have discovered that SBS2008 Group Policy quite arbitrarily and nefariously sets the Windows Firewall to Enabled on each PC, which caused a whole heap of accessing problems before we discovered the setting and turned it off, it may be that my experiences with CON2PRT have not reflected how we are currently. I can now connect to the C$ root of the Windows 2003 server, whereas I couldn't before, and so on, and CON2PRT seems to work in our environment (see my first post) - at least as present.

We are due to convert our second server, a Terminal Server, from WS2003R2 to WS2008, still 32-bit, around mid-February, so We Shall See what additional amusements occur!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, which I will work through next week/over Christmas, now that much of the conversion/migration dust has settled...
    BATcher