Thread: Forum Display

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

My issue is not with this forum, this one is terrific. I am a registered user of many many forums, but this one at http://www.hadit.com (a forum for disabled Veterans), will not display in linear mode for me. The admin and moderators say they have no problem with it on their end. Myself and a couple others over the past couple years have had this same problem. My default view is 'standard' mode, and when I change to linear mode, the sort order remains the same (newest to oldest). The only way to get the oldest to be first is to use Outline mode, which is a tree format, and not convenient to use.

This has occurred for me with IE6/IE7/IE8, and Firefox 3.0.15. I'm guessing something in my registry is causing the problem, I just don't know where to look or what to change.

Does anybody have an idea or two that will help point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

--Jim

Vista Business 32, SP2
    Lenovo T61
    Intel DuoCore T7300 2.0 ghz
    4 gb ram
    IE7 just upgraded to IE8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake000 View Post
    I am a registered user of many many forums, but this one at http://www.hadit.com (a forum for disabled Veterans), will not display in linear mode for me. The admin and moderators say they have no problem with it on their end. Myself and a couple others over the past couple years have had this same problem. My default view is 'standard' mode, and when I change to linear mode, the sort order remains the same (newest to oldest). The only way to get the oldest to be first is to use Outline mode, which is a tree format, and not convenient to use.
    It's hard to see how you could be causing this problem. Whichever mode you use, the relevant portion of the layout is determined on the server. All the server needs is your mode preference cookie in order to configure the display.

One thing I noticed is that even for very long threads, I get them all on one page. If you have chosen a fewer number of posts to display on each page, perhaps that configuration is not compatible with "descending date" order Linear+ mode??

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I went back in and changed the number of posts to display at the forum default setting, and no difference. I also tried fewer than what I had before, and still the same. If I knew what to have the Admin look at, I would send him a pm ... as he has checked into it before, and said he hadn't heard of anyone else having the problem. Since I made a post in the geek section, a couple others chimed in with the same problem.

Thanks,

--Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure that that they the admins, understand what you are saying.
    I went over then and not being logged in, it always showed in the New- to Old sort, but the old to new in the "Outline" mode. Are you sure that you are logged in when you are selecting these options?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are 3 choices for display options: Standard (new to old), Linear (old to new), and Outline (old displayed, the rest are a tree of links beneath). Yes, I have been logged in. Whether I'm logged in or not has no bearing on the order the posts are displayed. For me, Standard and Linear appear the same, and Outline is as described above.

I am pretty sure the fella knew what I was talking about in describing my question. I'm not sure he's technologically astute enough to know how to fix anything on that end.

You're thinking its something on the other end, but I don't know what to tell the admins/mods on where to look or what to do, if anything, to fix it. For now I'll continue to scroll to the bottom and work my way up ...

Thanks,

--Jim