Thanks
    If I want to list items in Word

Word automatically indents the item list, spaces from the number to the line start, and maintains the indent on the following line.

Is there a way to turn that off so that I get no "help" with list number formatting and they will just be placed where I put them?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll be watching for a more elegant solution; however I simply select the list paragraphs and reset the intents in the ruler bar. My newly forced settings then stick for all future paragraphs in the list.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Thanks
    OK, thanks Samantha.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You should define a style that has the indents and numbering that you want, and then apply this style. This enables you to be consistent, and it also enables you to change your mind at any time you want without having to do lots of editing.

Thanks
    Stuart, I noticed when I was looking at the "auto correct" that if I turned off that numbering definition, then it would be that way for all situations until I changed it.

If I create a style, would I turn it off in the style, and if so, would it "hold" for just where that style is applied? 'Cause all I would really be doing is creating a style with that particular auto correct on, and one with it off.

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,

I don't understand what you are asking.

The way to format text in Word, if you want it applied in a consistent way, is to define a style that specifies the attributes you want. This includes numbering and indenting.

Thanks
    Stuart, but what if, in the case of numbering lists etc., if I want to use Word's default style in, say, the first instance, and then in one closer to what I outlined in my opening post?

Would I have separate styles for "each" paragraph where the numbering would need to be different, and would that work, since it is built into the Auto Correct function of Word?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

The confusion may be arising here in that it looks like you're assuming that a defined style that's associated with a particular type of numbering, is somehow linked with or related to AutoCorrect. That's not the case - the numbering associated with a defined style doesn't have anything to do with AutoCorrect.

And if you want to produce more than one different type of numbering, you can create more than one numbering style - one style for each type of numbering you want to produce.

Gary

Thanks
    Gary, sop then it "overrides" anything in Auto Correct when a style is set up a certain way? And AC only steps in when there is no defined option? So then if I have multiple styles in one document that relate to the same type of text, each style will take effect as if there are/were no prior instructions?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi again,

Gary, sop then it "overrides" anything in Auto Correct when a style is set up a certain way? And AC only steps in when there is no defined option?
    Yes, that's how I'd interpret what AutoCorrect does: in the absence of a defined numbering style, it attempts to guess whether you're trying to create a numbered list - for example by typing "1.", "2." at the beginning of each paragraph.
    Whereas in an autonumbered list associated with a style, you're not going to be typing the "1.", "2." - those come in automatically as part of the numbering properties associated with the style - so Auto Correct never kicks in, in this case.

So then if I have multiple styles in one document that relate to the same type of text, each style will take effect as if there are/were no prior instructions?
    Not sure I follow what you mean about having multiple styles in one document that relate to the same type of text - can you explain in different words? As to the latter part of this sentence: Yes, in general applying a style will apply the properties associated with that style, to the text it is applied to. And in general, any previous formatting applied to the text is in effect removed automatically, at the time the new style is applied.

Gary

Thanks
    Gary, you answered my question -- then I went and tried it -- so that I could have one style in effect, and then (by selecting text?) I could set an entirely different style to the next, or a part of the text already in place; then, once a style is set, everything I type (after placing it?) takes on that style's characteristics.

Sounds like just what I need to do...so now I'll go muck around in styles for a bit!

Thanks,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just a couple more tips:

Styles that have numbering associated with them are generally meant to apply to entire paragraphs at a time, so you should apply them to entire paragraphs, rather than just a portion of a paragraph.

When applying a paragraph style to text, you should either (1) click an insertion point anywhere in the paragraph that you want to take on the style, and then apply the style, or (2) select the entire paragraph or paragraphs that you want to take on the style, and then apply the style. What you should avoid when applying paragraph styles, is selecting just a portion of the paragraph.

Post back if you hit any snags.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Just a couple more tips:

Styles that have numbering associated with them are generally meant to apply to entire paragraphs at a time, so you should apply them to entire paragraphs, rather than just a portion of a paragraph.

When applying a paragraph style to text, you should either (1) click an insertion point anywhere in the paragraph that you want to take on the style, and then apply the style, or (2) select the entire paragraph or paragraphs that you want to take on the style, and then apply the style. What you should avoid when applying paragraph styles, is selecting just a portion of the paragraph.

Post back if you hit any snags.

Gary
    Sounds good Gary.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Chuck